Does HDR/bracketing make or break shots?

I don't believe the OP is looking for the difference between Bracketing and HDR. I think the OP is more wondering since every shot s/he has seen has used either method, does this mean normal non bracketing/HDR shots fall short when it comes to appeal.

HDR in my opinion is way overused. When it is used correctly and subtly it can improve an image.

I would consider bracketing and using 2 exposures, say 1 for the sky and one for the land and combining by using layers in photoshop or similar software as good practice if filters are not at hand

I find HDR to be overused just like what jaomul said. I think it's kind of fun in the beginning when you create a few interesting photo but then it loses interests fast.

With HDR, just don't over do it to create unrealistic images. It may be fun in the beginning but then you'll find all your images overprocessed in the end. I also find the true HDR process tedious.

And because I find the true HDR process tedious, I find that if you find the right LR presets, you pretty get the same effect if you're not looking to get crazy unrealistic artsy images. If interested, google "Trey Ratcliff lightroom presets". And no, I don't make any money from this. :)

Go HDR or Bracketing or go home?

Learn how to properly use your gear or go home. :er:

If your gear doesn't offer Bracketing or HDR, go home?

Learn how to use the Manual mode.

All I use is Manual, or A & S modes. I'm still using Auto ISO but starting to wing my self from it as well.

Anyhow, is HDR and or Bracketing (image stacking) the new standard for photography? Is general non HDR/Bracketibg just considered basic snap shots?

I wonder why the professional Nikon bodies offer up to 9-frame automatic bracketing?

Anyhow, is HDR and or Bracketing (image stacking) the new standard for photography? Is general non HDR/Bracketibg just considered basic snap shots?

HDR the new standard? No such thing as standard but I surely hope not. Bracketing itself has nothing to do with image stacking at all. Braceketing in the general sense is really just to cover the odd times when you think you couldn't get the exposure right the first time. Stacking images with different exposures is a step in old school HDR. People image stack for various reasons, it's like duplicating layers, tweak them differently and then stack them....is that HDR? Who knows....

HDR the new standard? No such thing as standard but I surely hope not. Bracketing itself has nothing to do with image stacking at all. Braceketing in the general sense is really just to cover the odd times when you think you couldn't get the exposure right the first time. Stacking images with different exposures is a step in old school HDR. People image stack for various reasons, it's like duplicating layers, tweak them differently and then stack them....is that HDR? Who knows....

Ya, I'm not sure if the OP is talking about Bracketing or confusing it with Image Stacking.

HDR cannot be a standard because HDR has no standards. Heck, it's not even officially defined.

Now..... what is 'image stacking?'

I personally think that bracketing is something that really can make your photos look like something out of this world, like the one in the first example. It looks like it is from another planet. Very cool looking and it is very beautiful. Best of luck!

I personally think that bracketing is something that really can make your photos look like something out of this world, like the one in the first example. It looks like it is from another planet. Very cool looking and it is very beautiful. Best of luck!

Bracketing is as old as photography itself. HDR, which uses bracketed images, is merely a modern use of bracketed images. And I personally don't care for the cartoonish look you're referring to.

Most reactions

Back