Does it get easier?

MarkCSmith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Haha yeah I know practice makes perfect, it seems 5 seconds after I learn what aperature, shutter speed, ISO, etc do...I forget. Does it eventually become second hand knowledge with practice? Give me some hope! :hug::

After a while it's like driving a car.

I would suggest for you to switch the camera to manual and play with each setting individually. Or set the camera in aperture priority and take shots of the same thing in different aperture settings than compare. Same for ISO and shutter speed.

give yourself some time, pratice everyday, if only for 10 minutes. focus, no pun intended, on one thing at a time. I.E. use aperture prioitry and shoot the same subject then compare them side my side to see how the fstop effects depth of field.

then the next assignment, switch to shutter prioitry. find something that can be repeated that is also moving, a windmill, water fountain, etc.
take photos starting at 1/2 sec. and continue up to 1/2000. At one point the images will probably be over /under exposed, but you will see what changing the shutter speed does.

it really is just practice, practice and more practice. you will be surprised one day you won't have to think so hard.

It became easier for me. When I got my XT, I read all over the internet how to use it the 1 week I had to wait when it came from shipping. I basically knew what each button did by heart before I even touched the camera. Then it took me 30 minutes to figure out how to change the shutter speed when it was in my hands lol. Basically you try to pick up info, and you can't get it all, but if you can grasp one little thing, using it helps you hold onto it forever, then you go on and keep adding "little things" to your arsenal. It's the application and usage that helps you learn what does what. the era of LCD review helps you see what you're doing between shots.

after hearing and reading it many times on here, I took the advice of everyone and bought "Understanding exposure" Bryan Peterson. Awesome book. check it out for sure!!!!

I'm in the same boat as you! I play with it and know what it does, but then have to re-remember everything when I get to the next round of shooting. Not only that, I seem to completely forget what exactly it was that I did when I got a good shot and therefore can't recreate it very easily! So, yeah, I hope it gets easier too. hehehe I'm definitely going to pick up "Understanding Exposure".

Its all there in the viewfinder, check it out before hitting the button, other than that if you need to grab it quick post processing is your friend. H

Yes, it becomes completely automatic - it goes to the back of your mind and disappears, and all you think about is composition.

The comparison to driving a car is a good one. I'd take it even a step further - yes, you can drive most cars, but when you get into another car, it takes a while till you feel really comfortable again. You never drive the same way in a rental as you do your own car.

I have three cameras that are very different, and switching between them always takes me a while. We also have three cars in the family, and I always remember the basics, but in my primary car I don't have to remember which radio station is on which button, or how to adjsut the seat - I just know. That kind of unimportant stuff makes the difference between feeling really comfortable, and having to get reacquainted. Same with my cameras - I have a dRF, a dSLR, and a digital compact, and I always need a half hour to get back into the groove - but the basic knowledge is embedded for good, that stuff I don't think about anymore.

The same will happen to you.

after hearing and reading it many times on here, I took the advice of everyone and bought "Understanding exposure" Bryan Peterson. Awesome book. check it out for sure!!!!

Yeah I've got 3 books by him, Understanding Exposure, Seeing Creatively and his Digital Photography one (which is the exact same book as Understanding Exposure with a few very small changes...oh well, will make a good gift for somebody haha) GREAT books...but I still keep forgetting everything once I turn to the next page LOL

Thanks guys, I guess it was more just a rant than anything else, I want to be good at it NOW :grumpy: :lol:

"Understanding exposure" Revised Edition: Bryan Peterson

Awesome, book read it more than 6 times.. you will never forget, and the more you use the camera, the more it will start to click.. It' sorta like sex, and where things go......

Chris

And just like a car you should never use a camera while drunk. The results are some times very bad.

If you have a digital camera, this should be easy to learn... You can immediately see and adjust... Instant feedback and instant learning... I did alot of sitting by the computer, reading about techniques and playing with my camera...A bunch of pretty much useless shots, but then when you get out there it becomes a matter of what you want to accomplish...

Maybe this is an easy way of understanding it... First learn the DOF rules.. This way your composition is correct... Know when to pick a 50 mm lens over a 130 mm one... You could get the same shot with both by moving the camera forward or back, but the difference will be in the background and in the quality of the lens at a certain distance....

I've kinda went off topic a little bit, but research that idea if you don't already have it...

Most importantly, decide how much of the frame you want in focus to decide the look of the shot... Get an angle that works with the concept and arrange to create a good composition... Then find a shutter speed that works to create a good exposure... This is the idea for a basic shot.. When you factor in ISO and special effects like blurred waterfalls and moving lights, etc., it gets slightly different but not much...

I suggest keeping the ISO as low as possible unless it makes it impossible to get the shutter speed/exposure that you want... You may have to compromise in one aspect a little to get an acceptable result (or you can manipulate the lighting yourself to still get everything perfect)... Yes it's a rant, but hopefully it'll get a concept or two across... Have a good one and good luck... Most importantly, enjoy!

im glad to read that someone else has the same problems as i do, (the attention defficit thing) I cant remember nothing, thats why i right so much down, my wife thinks im crazy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back