Does it work sometimes if parts of your sky are blown out??

bazpaul

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, i recently took a HDR panoramic of Perth city australia awhile ago, but i screwed up the exposure and the sky was blown out where the sun was.

However, since been back to this spot i have never found an interesting sky like this one. It had just been raining and a mini storm was approaching the city!!

so does this work as a shot....or is it just down right ugly?? i'm not sure myself. i thought a blown out sky is a photographers mistake....but can it work sometimes.....and maybe make or break an image???

all comments and criticisms welcome
:thumbup:
south_of_the_river.jpg

I like it. If it bothers you, crop it out.

Leave it, it looks amazing!

:thumbup::thumbup:

*Edit*

I looked again. They sky is perfect, but I'd crop out the bottom third of the image. The shore and birds don't add anything. Actually, I think they detract from the image because of the steep curve.

The sky/sun doesnt bother me, you can see the sun rays and its a nice shot. You might want to crop the seagulls along the bottom to bring the cityscape out of dead center. The beach does nothing for the shot imo.
Keep trying and posting.:thumbup:

cheers guys for the comments!

so the general consensus is that the blown out sun part isnt that bad???

yeh i was thinking of cropping the birds out but i like them there, i thought it gave depth to the image. but yeh i should use the rule of thirds with the horizon.

what about the HDR...is it a bit overkill??? i might revist the processing and tone down the hdr a little.

cheers

I wouldn't clone out the foreground shore as it helps framing the scene. I would, however, clone out the seagull at the bottom centre simply because you chopped its feet.

The HDR is well done in my opinion; I rarely ever like HDR, but I can enjoy it when it's done subtly, like here.

Regarding the blown-out skies, it's better if you can avoid them, obviously. In this particular case, the blown-out sky (with its reflection) is the lightest section of the frame by a wide margin, therefore the eye of the viewer tends to naturally go there... so it becomes a distraction (i.e., not good).

I don't have a problem with the sun in the shot, but if you did want to get rid of it I think if you cropped the bottom and cropped the sun out it would still be an amazing shot. I just think the bottom would have to go with sun if you cropped it out because the curve at the bottom would be cut off.

its interesting to hear the different comments from you guys! i just would have thought the blown out sun was unforgiving....but maybe i will consider this shot as a 'keeper' :lol:

ok....i have edited and cropped and added a little brown vignette...what d'ya think?? better???

cheers again

south_perth_pano_revised.jpg

its interesting to hear the different comments from you guys! i just would have thought the blown out sun was unforgiving....but maybe i will consider this shot as a 'keeper' :lol:

ok....i have edited and cropped and added a little brown vignette...what d'ya think?? better???

cheers again

Print, frame and place on wall.
I like it:thumbup:

cheers again

agreed

cheers again

[giant picture]

agreed

x2, Awesome shot with the crop.

Most reactions

Back