Does Minolta fit flash on a Sony A100?

hockeybear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have bought a Sony A100 and I have found out that my old flash doesn't fit, my hammer gun won't fit either because there is no socket in the Sony to plug it in. Given that the Sony is a re-badged Minolta do they use the same hot shoe? Buying the camera and lens has left me skint and so I'm looking to buy 2nd hand. On ebay I have seen a 2500 dynax and a 5400Xi dynax, are these any good and will they fit on the A100?
Thanks in advance,
Dave..

Newer Minoltas use the same hotshoe; older ones do not. The 2500 will work, the 5400 (from 1993) probably not. If you want to make the best use of the camera's flash abilities then I recommend looking for the Minolta 3600HS or 5600HS, their Sony clones the F36AM or F56AM, or a Sigma EF-500 DG for the Minolta/Sony hotshoe.

http://www.mhohner.de/minolta/flashes.php

You can also pick up a fairly inexpensive ISO/hotshoe adapter with a built-in PC socket, or just the ISO/PC socket adapter. You can get them from eBay, B&H Photo, Adorama, White Lightning, Alien Bees, and a bunch more online retailers. They'll easily allow you to use your hammer gun with your Alpha. You'll have to research the sync voltage on your hotshoe flash to be sure that it's safe to use with your Alpha's low sync voltage requirements.

Thanks a lot you guys, lots of options there.
I think I'll go for the adapter as a short term fix, it'll give me time to read up on the flash guns until I have the money to buy one.
Dave..

Most reactions

New Topics

Back