Does photography class worth the time and money?

atseeyob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well, I should post this question before I registered for the class. I am going to start on September 12th and my first class will be Digital Photography Basic. Let me just hear from you if you think this is a good start.

I would say that you won't learn anything that you couldn't from checking out some of the better websites online or looking at threads in this forum.

That said, it depends on your learning style. I learn well through reading and hate lectures, so I've never thought seriously about photography class. If you're the other way around, it could be great.

It also depends on how much you already know. If you've shot with an SLR before and done developing/printing, I'd say don't waste your time unless you enjoy classroom learning. But if you're new to the art, it may be an invaluable way to get to know your camera, the basics of good shooting technique, and hopefully the elements of good composition.

Once you learn all of that, try to forget it all and discover what you like to shoot and explore that without feeling like there is a right or wrong way to photograph... your camera is little more than a very expensive toy, so have fun with it.

It's great to increase your skill faster, but could be worth less if you just attend in the class then do nothing after the class over.
Learn in class and explore more by yourself outside. Remember, practice make perfect! and always have fun with your tools... ;)

I hope so. I start my first photography class ever tomorrow. I am new to digital and excited. I think it's a good stepping stone if you know absolutely nothing, like me.

You should most definitely take a photography class. Yes you can learn it online, but you won't benefit from learning from others first hand, and you'll never participate in a real in person critique while sitting in front of your computer.

I think it would be a great thing if you don't know much or know very little. I started my photography class and have had 4 classes and all we are covering is the basic operation of the camera which I already know pretty well.

However, it is a film class so I'm looking forward to working with that as well as the in class critique as Matt said.

I don't think any of us can really tell you if your particular class is worthwhile or a waste. It really depends on many things: your background, the course content, the instructor, how much effort you put in, etc. etc. etc.

Hope your enjoy your class!!

I'm glad to see this question -- I'm in a similar situation. I'm terrified of spending money, but i hear good things about NYIP -- can anyone give me some feedback or suggestions?

Here's their URL:

http://www.nyip.com/

Thanks for any and all help!

To learn photography, I just read books and if I had any questions... I asked my parents (because my mom used to be into photography) or I find out by asking here or somewhere on the internets.

If you want a book I recommend Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson.

You should most definitely take a photography class. Yes you can learn it online, but you won't benefit from learning from others first hand, and you'll never participate in a real in person critique while sitting in front of your computer.

Pretty much. I'm getting a degree in photography, and I've only been in school for a year. I can already shoot near the professional level.

I would say go for it. I would love to take a photography class. I did the online thing and even though I learned from it I do perfer the class setting. I also have the book Understand Exposure and it is a great book.

The obvious answer is that it depends on those doing the teaching and how the class and "curriculum" are set up. The best classes are where there is lots of opportunity for both in class and on location shooting with the teacher and other students nearby for suggestions and assistance if necessary followed by thorough critique.

That presupposes broad photographic experience and teaching skills from those that are teaching the courses.

skieur

Well you canonly know if it was worth it after you take it. I think any class is worth taking though because you may get exposed to things that will help you that you might not think of even using on your camera. Also yo umay learn tehniques that you may never have thought of. I think online learning (self taught from inst sites) is OK if you have the discipline to go ou t and try what you learnwhile in a class (if it is a good one) you will get assignments, shoot them, and hopefully have discussion of the results later. Of course all of this depends on the last post from skieur who was right on.

It depends on how much you know, how much the teacher knows, and how good of a teacher the photographer is. I had one photo class that I left after two weeks. The teacher kept coming to me asking how I'd taken the pictures I was show in class. I figured if the teacher is coming to me for advice, I'm in the wrong class. I also took classes from Al Belson, who was a fantastic teacher and photographer. It was a rare privilege to take a class from a photographer of his level, and he was also a close friend of Ansel Adams.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back