Does photography have a higher value in the US than in the UK ?

JamesMason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I often see US photogs talking about how much they charge, often between $5000-$15000 forthe average wedding. Now there are people in the uk who can and do pay high amounts, but more often than not £3000-£10,000 is a couples ebtire wedding budget. They look at those of us charging £1000+ and then go and find a man with camera charging £150 for pictures on a CD.
So, are people willing to pay more in the us ? Or is it just the same over there ?

This is my impression, too, James, but comparing the States to Germany. I doubt there's anyone (other than the absolute high society) who'd turf out €5.000.- for the wedding photos alone, let alone any MORE money for the photos. Like you're saying: to be having a budget of € 10.000.- for a wedding is considered a BIG budget already, and that includes ALL! I am very surprised to read about the prices being charged for wedding albums in the States, too!!! Unthinkable here in Germany.

Outside of a few major centres, (Los Angeles/Hollywood, New York, etc.) I don't think it's all that common in the US either, but don't forget that they have more wealth in their population than our three countries combined.

The average price for a high-end wedding in my part of Canada is less than $5000 and typical "nice" weddings go for $2-3000.

This is my impression, too, James, but comparing the States to Germany. I doubt there's anyone (other than the absolute high society) who'd turf out €5.000.- for the wedding photos alone, let alone any MORE money for the photos. Like you're saying: to be having a budget of € 10.000.- for a wedding is considered a BIG budget already, and that includes ALL! I am very surprised to read about the prices being charged for wedding albums in the States, too!!! Unthinkable here in Germany.

Bourgeois Americans.

Bourgeois Americans.

I am so happy that Italians are so open minded. :)

There really aren't that many $10,000 wedding gigs over here either it's just that every one that's done gets talked about. Bragging Americans is more like. ;)

I read an article last year that stated the average wedding in the U.S. was around $20,000. Mine was about $12,000. We spent about $1500 on the pics (that was with a friend discount though, normally would have been $1700-1800 I think.) This was three years ago. Our biggest expense was catering which was a little over $5,000 I think. It was good though. Definitely the best wedding meal I've ever had.

^^ out of all the bizarre spam i have come across, this takes the entire packet of biscuits

It's also a factor of the disparity in populations between the 2 countries. While $5k-$15k is excessive, as stated, it's not common. Probably the same percentage of wedding jobs in the UK are in that range, but when America has over 300 million people, it's just noticed more.

I called my buddy and asked him what the wedding photog he sometimes works with charges and he said on the high end about $2500, on the low end about $2000. Depends on what the bride and groom want.

I called my buddy and asked him what the wedding photog he sometimes works with charges and he said on the high end about $2500, on the low end about $2000. Depends on what the bride and groom want.

About the same then

I just hope my 401k is doing well whenever my daughter gets married, lol. A loan/withdrawal from that is the only way I can see paying for it... :lol:

A co-worker of mine spent upwards of $40k on his daughters wedding. That sounds completely insane to me. I don't know how much of that went to photography - but still, that's one hell of a party.

And this is just a 'regular guy' we're talking about. Just a working stiff turning wrenches on airplanes.

I can't even imagine what 'rich' people would be willing to drop on a wedding...

Most reactions

Back