does the D3100 lens 18-55 mm have a zoom?

35mm4me

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.onelightimages.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thinking of buying a D3100 with the stock lens. I like to shoot city shots/people. And landscape does that lens have a good zoom. Thanks.

Thinking of buying a D3100 with the stock lens. I like to shoot city shots/people. And landscape does that lens have a good zoom. Thanks.

Yes, it zooms from 18-55mm.

I think I understand what you are asking, if the D3100 has a LONG zoom lens.

Nikon doesnt have a specific lens for the D3100, it produces 2 kind of lenses,
DX lenses
FX lenses

DX lenses is for crop sensor camera like your D3100, also D5100, D3200, D7000, D7100 and more.
The FX lens is design to work on the bigger sensors camera like the D600, D700, D800

Crop sensor camera can work with both DX lenses and FX lenses so as long as the lens has an in body Auto Focus motor then you can use it.

There are lots and lots of lenses Nikon makes for various prices and various quality, it will be up to you to decide what price range is good for you.

BTW, I recommend you to go for the Nikon D5100 or D3200 instead the D3100, they are close in price and are considerably better then the D3100.

Yes, it zooms from 18-55mm.

I have the coolpix l820 with a 30x zoom what does 18-55 mean ? Sorry for the inability to explain this will be my first dslr.
Thanks

I found the 18-55mm kit lens weak in the zoom department and quickly found myself grabbing the 70-300mm zoom. FYI 18-55 is equivalent to approx. x3 zoom.

I found the 18-55mm kit lens weak in the zoom department and quickly found myself grabbing the 70-300mm zoom. FYI 18-55 is equivalent to approx. x3 zoom.

Great thanks.. I just figured it out devided the large # by the small.
Thanks again.

On the Nikon APS-C sensor cameras (which includes the D3100) "Normal" focal length, or approximately equal to what your eyes see, is at 33mm. The 18mm - 55mm lens provides a slightly wide-angle lens on the 18mm end and a slightly telephoto lens on the 55mm end.

Maybe this can give you an idea: Nikon | Imaging Products | NIKKOR Lenses Simulator
You can select you camera and lens.

I think you will be disappointed with that lens on the telephoto department if you compare it to your 30x p&s on the basis of magnification alone. However, for the type of photography you describe I think it is an excellent lens.

Most reactions

Back