Does the D80 function like the F80?

ted_smith

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently own a Nikon F80 (N80 in the US). I have had my eye on the Nikon D80 for some time.

Is the D80 very simply a digital version of the F80? In other words, if I bought it, would it feel and function (in terms of features and location of settings\buttons) very similar to my F80? Is that why it's called a D80 as opposed to a D...whatever? Would I effectively then have 'the same camera' but one using film and one using digital (which is what I am hoping for). Or does the D80 have a myriad of features that the F80 does not (thus making learning how to use it more troublesome)?

Ted

the D80 is not a digital version of F80.....Digital cameras comes with a lot more features and also allow more fine adjustments.......is a total different world of flexibility....but also add more complexity to it when you use too many of the functions.....

with digital camera.....you can adjust white balance on the camera...instead of using filters....you can adjust ISO speed instead of changing film......just a lot more functions....but of course....you can still use it like you would use a film camera and treat the extra functions as optional

Sorry - I have not explained myself fully.

I realise that, for example, instead of using ISO100 film you have to set the camera to a setting of ISO100 so it treats the image accordingly for the light situation it is being used in.

But what I mean is are the overall abilities of the two cameras the same? Or does the D80 have a raft of additional features that the F80 does not? Does their focusing functions differ, their 3D Matrixing system, their 5 point focusing meter, etc

In other words, I realise their are digital settings that have to be set to equate to the film equivalents, but as a camera, are the abilities of the D80 markedly different to the F80 or can they both achieve the same end result in much the same way?

D80 has 11 focus points
on camera "touch-up"
auto-focus options: assisted, continuous, still
exposure lock
focus lock
white balance adjustment

all kind of other digital enhancement options
better to check out its spec

but i think you can't really compare film to digital that way......many would say they yeild different end result (film always better if used properly)....film is analog.....digital is digital (0/1)......the reason for digital is properly "convenience".....not quality......but of course.....the quality of digital camera is still excellent up to a certain point........and they can be processed easily on computer....especially with RAW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back