Does the Nikon D3200 Have Too Much Noise At ISO 400 up???

stprodigy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In comparing pictures taken with the Nikon D3200 with other cameras like the Canon T3i under same exact conditions, the Nikon D3200 seems to introduce a relatively large amount of noise even at the lower ISO levels like 200 and 400 compared to other cameras. Is this a tradeoff that had to be made in order to accomodate the 24MP sensor? Can you set the D3200 to shoot pictures at a lower MP, perhaps 18 or 14MP, and if you can, would this result in images that had less noise?

The photograph of the boy on the skateboard on This Page was shot at ISO 400 and it does show some noise in the shadow areas. The boy's forehead, for example, is noisier than I would have expected for ISO 400. The photos are from Nikon France.

How much noise is acceptable at or above 400 ISO is going to depend on the accuracy of the exposure, and the tolerance of the user.

Any photos you look at online would have to be evaluated relative to the accuracy of their exposure. As pixel count increases (quantified as a reduction in pixel pitch), so does the need to nail the exposure. With digital imaging it is important to use the histogram function to ensure the brightest stop of exposure is maxed out but not clipped. That is known as ETTR or Expose-To-The-Right. ETTR

Look at this side-by-side, independent testing lab's comparison - DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

It also needs to be said that to enjoy all the benefits the 24 MP D3200 image sensor provides will require using lenses that compliment that increased resolution. Consumer grade lenses may not cut it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back