Does the nikon SB-700 connect to my Nikon D7000?

Reaction score
Does the nikon SB-700 connect to my Nikon D7000 wirelessly so when I take the image the flash goes off? And if it connects what's the max distance it will work?

Jack M'crystal Photography

And sorry if this is in the wrong topic area.

Last edited:
You need to look into the Commander mode
which is e3 in the menu

the sb700 has to be in remote mode which is the second click when turning it on. On then push the center button and move to remote

Then make sure the flash is set to group A or B, which you. Can configure in the d7000 e3 menu
then you have to pop open your d7000 flash as this will initiate the off camera flash (OCF) sb700
The flash button on the left side of the viewfinder pops it open

Then when you press the release the popup flash flashes which initiates the sb700

This is line of sight and distance varies. In a room its okay. Outside in bright sunshine distance will cause issues.
other ways to trigger the flash is using a su-800
or using radio triggers which will give the optimal distance and flexibility as you could put flahses behind things , around corners, in a different room etc due to the technology being used.

You need to look into the Commander mode which is e3 in the menu the sb700 has to be in remote mode which is the second click when turning it on. On then push the center button and move to remote Then make sure the flash is set to group A or B, which you. Can configure in the d7000 e3 menu then you have to pop open your d7000 flash as this will initiate the off camera flash (OCF) sb700 The flash button on the left side of the viewfinder pops it open Then when you press the release the popup flash flashes which initiates the sb700 This is line of sight and distance varies. In a room its okay. Outside in bright sunshine distance will cause issues. other ways to trigger the flash is using a su-800 or using radio triggers which will give the optimal distance and flexibility as you could put flahses behind things , around corners, in a different room etc due to the technology being used.

So what you are saying is that the SB-700 can only be set off by another flash triggering it right? If this is true what nikon flashes have the radio triggers?

The basic feature is a flash triggering it

Remote hot shoes using cables is another method though very limiting in the sense of wires/cables

My su-800 an infrared is triggering it (no flash)

Add-on radio triggers is another method which is the most flexible and versatile solution
yungnuo, pocket wizards are two brands. I do not have radio triggers but i'm also no pro

So what you are saying is that the SB-700 can only be set off by another flash triggering it right? If this is true what nikon flashes have the radio triggers?
None of them. Radio triggers mount the receiver on the hotshoe of the flash and the transmitter on the hotshoe of the camera.

There are 3rd party flashes Yungnuo and I think a Canon flash has built in radio triggers. But the Yungnuo is not a TTL/CLS capable flash if I recall.

Welcome to the world of flashes and OCF. You've just opened the edge of the pandora's box. :)

here is ONE example of radio triggers, OCF and SU800
http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirations/tutorials/su800/

Nikon's CLS system is an optical system that uses infrared (IR) light to communicate to an off camera Nikon speedlight.
People cannot see IR light.

Your D7000 pop-up flash unit is what sends the IR control communication to an off camera Nikon CLS capable flash unit.

Optical IR light communication systems are limited in range and have difficulty in direct sunlight (the Sun puts out a lot of IR light) and if there is no line-of-sight.

The SB-700 can also be used as a Commander flash, and has a basic optical triggering mode known as SU-4 mode.
The Nikon Creative Lighting System: Using the SB-600, SB-700, SB-800, SB-900, SB-910, and R1C1 Flashes

IIRC, Canon's newest, top of the line flash unit (600 EX-RT) is the only Canon speedlite unit that has a radio triggering capability and off camera requires the use of a Canon ST-E3-RT on the camera.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
It should also be noted that any flash, regardless of brand or technology, can trigger any other flash that has a slave eye, such as a Nikon in SU-4 mode, in manual. The infrared triggering works up to a good 50 to 75 feet in bright conditions with a pop-up flash. With an external Speedlight as a trigger, you get about 100 feet. I don't think it's limited until you get into crazy placements and enclosed diffusers or densely blocked line of sight. So the answer is the SB-700 will work with the 7000 if the 7000 has a pop-up flash.

It should also be noted that any flash, regardless of brand or technology, can trigger any other flash that has a slave eye, such as a Nikon in SU-4 mode, in manual. The infrared triggering works up to a good 50 to 75 feet in bright conditions with a pop-up flash. With an external Speedlight as a trigger, you get about 100 feet. I don't think it's limited until you get into crazy placements and enclosed diffusers or densely blocked line of sight. So the answer is the SB-700 will work with the 7000 if the 7000 has a pop-up flash.

Yes but I am looking at getting a flash that works with IF. I don't want a slave flash

Various triggers will work, I use a Flash Wave III. However, with many triggers, the TTL feature on the SB-700 will not be used. To get TTL with a trigger, look into the Nikon SU-800, "Wireless Speedlight Commander". You can use that unit to set flash exposure compensation, too. It comes with two gels.

Footnote: the Yongnuo YN560-III only requires one trigger, the one on the flash. YN560 sells the triggers in sets of two for c. $35, but you will only need one for the YN560 III, so you will have an extra one!

On the D7000, when you pop-up the on camera flash and then press the flash button again you will access the flash exposure compensation. This is an important flash feature to know about. As mentioned above when using triggers or the pop=up flash to trigger off camera flash, select the commander mode, set the on camera flash to"- -" and A to TTL where you can also set flash exp.comp.
Here are the steps: From the Custom Setting Menu scroll down to e Bracketing/Flash. right click on that then scroll down to e3 "Flash control for built-in flash", right click and scroll down to CMD Commander mode, click on that to get to the options mentioned above. Next to the "Built-in flash" selecting " - - " will shut off the built in flash as your main flash source turning it into a trigger flash.

I thought the range of the SU-800 was 66'. Here is a video showing 90'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Back