Does this lens exist?

birdfish

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I have a Rebel XS with the 18-55mm kit lens and a 50mm f1.8. I am mainly interested in getting shots of my 1 year old son. But I also do some maternity shoots (outside mainly) and newborn shoots (inside mainly). I love my 50mm f1.8 but I wish I could zoom even just a little bit. So here is my question...is there any type of zoom lens that even comes close to the results I get with the 50mm f1.8?? Thanks!

There are lots of lenses that will blow it out of tthe water but will cost you more than all your gear put together

As said zooms that good will cost. I like tat 50 also but bought a 35mm f2 Canon lens which I find better for indoor people pictures

There are lots of lenses that will blow it out of tthe water but will cost you more than all your gear put together

Yikes! That's not what I was hoping to hear. Any examples? Are we talking L glass?? Anything less than 1K?

As said zooms that good will cost. I like tat 50 also but bought a 35mm f2 Canon lens which I find better for indoor people pictures

Thanks, might have to check that out.

It's a good value for money lens that's slightly more expensive than the 50. Flickr have an Ef35 f2 group so you can check out what quality to expect

I love my 50mm f1.8 but I wish I could zoom even just a little bit

Why not the 85mm 1.8 ? It's not so expensive, high quality and it "zooms" more than your actual 50mm

For something a little longer I'll second the 85 f/1.8 - quite a nice lens even if prone to a bit too much CA when wide open in particular situations (backlight).

Sigma 85 f/1.4. It is under $1000 and the sharpness is comparable as Canon f/1.2L. The canon 85 f/1.8 is not as sharp when you see the comparison.

For something a little longer I'll second the 85 f/1.8 - quite a nice lens even if prone to a bit too much CA when wide open in particular situations (backlight).

+1 for the 85mm

As for the CA issue, if the photo is in RAW format, you can use the Canon software to correct it automatically.

Sigma 85 f/1.4. It is under $1000 and the sharpness is comparable as Canon f/1.2L. The canon 85 f/1.8 is not as sharp when you see the comparison.

Was this one of the Sigmas that might require return until you get a sharp one / one that focuses well? Otherwise I have heard good things about this lens too.

+1 for the 85mm

As for the CA issue, if the photo is in RAW format, you can use the Canon software to correct it automatically.

Yeah, CA is pretty much a non-issue. I use Bridge and lens correction is profiled quite well to remove any CA issues, and I doubt you are printing as sizes which are pushing the resolution enough for some CA to be a major issue anyway.

Last edited:
Maybe a macro lens would suit you well to. You can get in as close as you want! I love my 85mm f1.4 af-d but it's close focusing distance of 3 feet is kinda sucky.

I love my tokina 100mm f2.8 macro
5313855174_173d649998_z.jpg

The Canon 70-200mm F4 L, is one of the sharpest zooms in their line up. Currently only $599 at B&H. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
That is a heck of a good price for such a great lens.

But of course, it would be nice to have IS on that lens...the F4 IS version is $500 more.
But of course, it would be nice to have a larger maximum aperture, the F2.8 version is $100 more than the F4 IS.
And lastly, it would be really nice to have a maximum aperture of F2.8 and IS, that version is $2069 (with $300 current savings).

The Canon 70-200mm F4 L, is one of the sharpest zooms in their line up. Currently only $599 at B&H. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
That is a heck of a good price for such a great lens.

But of course, it would be nice to have IS on that lens...the F4 IS version is $500 more.

How much of a difference does the IS make? Would it be worth it to get the f/4 without IS?

Most reactions

Back