Does this portrait/landscape photo look real?

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
From editing point, what do you think can be improved? Does it look real? Do you like this kind of portrait? It's kind of my first try of this type of portrait and I like it and want to incorporate scenery background into my portraits more.

_ZJL8765-Edit-2.jpg

Love the background work. Yes, it looks real. However, with the angle (shot from above) and the focal length (14mm) you have too much distortion of your body. You look a bit like a Hobbit with a big head and body and short little legs. I'm not sure how to overcome this problem as you need the wide angle for the background... Thinking off the top of my head... A lower angle would help but then you'd lose half the background. Maybe a composite would be needed where the subject is shot at a more suitable focal length? :confused:

If you could crack that problem I think you'd have a good thing going.

Love the background work. Yes, it looks real. However, with the angle (shot from above) and the focal length (14mm) you have too much distortion of your body. You look a bit like a Hobbit with a big head and body and short little legs. I'm not sure how to overcome this problem as you need the wide angle for the background... Thinking off the top of my head... A lower angle would help but then you'd lose half the background. Maybe a composite would be needed where the subject is shot at a more suitable focal length? :confused:

If you could crack that problem I think you'd have a good thing going.

You are right! I did not notice this distortion problem. I kind of felt the legs may be a little too short , but head too big, did not felt that much. Anyway, I realize this probably is true because of the wide angle lens, 14mm! I really appreciate your comments, good and to the point

Here is the image straight out of camera. I asked whether this looks real because I did get some doubts from people that the background look like photoshopped.

_ZJL8765.jpg

Ha HAA!! I was right for once! It IS real, not a composit. :D

I played with it in LR and used the distortion compensation (vertical slider) to create a new image, then cut out the stretched you and superimposed it on the original. I've no idea if that's how you really look and it's far too small an image as I was in a hurry and forgot to change settings when I exported but you get the idea. :)

liu3.jpg

You made the sky different and moved the light location so the shadows are wrong now. You need the put the sky back how it was or redo the shadows so the subject is lit from the new light source behind him.
The lighting of the clouds and the subject don't agree. Until this is fixed, it doesn't work.

I played with it in LR and used the distortion compensation (vertical slider) to create a new image, then cut out the stretched you and superimposed it on the original. I've no idea if that's how you really look and it's far too small an image as I was in a hurry and forgot to change settings when I exported but you get the idea. :)

liu3.jpg

Thanks! That's another great idea! I will do that in PS. Learned a lot by posting this image :)

You made the sky different and moved the light location so the shadows are wrong now. You need the put the sky back how it was or redo the shadows so the subject is lit from the new light source behind him.
The lighting of the clouds and the subject don't agree. Until this is fixed, it doesn't work.

Hey, I am not sure whether you made this comment before seeing the raw image I posted...

This. The way you've increased exposure on yourself and altered the sky makes the shadows read wrong. It's not something that most non-photographers will notice, but to me it stands out.

...It's not something that most non-photographers will notice, but to me it stands out.

This.

That being said, I really like it.

I for one like it just as posted. The reason is that it's INTERESTING ... to me anyway. The distortion makes you look quirky and original.

The post processing makes the colors really pop. Compositionally, the lines in the clouds pull my eye into the face.

The only thing I would say is that if you want to do the distortion thing try a couple where you really hammer the distortion ... get nuts ... get that lens way wide to get DOF and stick your head right up close to the lens.

Hey, I am not sure whether you made this comment before seeing the raw image I posted...
It wouldn't matter what the raw photo is, the clouds are illuminated on the back side, and the subject is illuminated from the front side. Makes it look very fake. Since the sky and subject are in conflict, people will notice something odd looking even if they cannot articulate what it is that bothers them.
If you are using artificial light to add to natural light, the two sources need to agree as far as shadows cast. You can use a fill light, but make sure it is not angled so it hits the ground if the ground is to be in the shot.

Thanks for all the comments, letting me realize what's the problem.
That being said, it does not keep me from liking this photo a little bit less.

Most reactions

Back