Does this portrait/landscape photo look real?

It wouldn't matter what the raw photo is, the clouds are illuminated on the back side, and the subject is illuminated from the front side. Makes it look very fake. Since the sky and subject are in conflict, people will notice something odd looking even if they cannot articulate what it is that bothers them.
If you are using artificial light to add to natural light, the two sources need to agree as far as shadows cast. You can use a fill light, but make sure it is not angled so it hits the ground if the ground is to be in the shot.

Thanks for the clearest explanation of the issues here. :)

Julian, it seems you've got the concept, now you need to work on the details. :D

It doesn't keep me from liking it a little bit less either. JK

I do appreciate people comments, that's how I feel I can improve. However, For some reason I do not like your tone of sarcastic and critique. So thanks but please do not comment on my photos anymore.

It doesn't keep me from liking it a little bit less either. JK

I do appreciate people comments, that's how I feel I can improve. However, For some reason I do not like your tone of sarcastic and critique. So thanks but please do not comment on my photos anymore.

I suspect you may be being a little over sensitive. This is a forum, in text only communication it's far too easy to read in & take offense that isn't intended; I know this from my own (humiliating) experience. If a comment isn't blatantly rude, don't take it as such. Also there were the letters JK at the end, that means "Just Kidding." At my age I think I'm qualified to say - take a deep breath and chill! :)

Last edited:
You made the sky different and moved the light location so the shadows are wrong now. You need the put the sky back how it was or redo the shadows so the subject is lit from the new light source behind him.
The lighting of the clouds and the subject don't agree. Until this is fixed, it doesn't work.

Hey, I am not sure whether you made this comment before seeing the raw image I posted...
It wouldn't matter what the raw photo is, the clouds are illuminated on the back side, and the subject is illuminated from the front side. Makes it look very fake. Since the sky and subject are in conflict, people will notice something odd looking even if they cannot articulate what it is that bothers them.
If you are using artificial light to add to natural light, the two sources need to agree as far as shadows cast. You can use a fill light, but make sure it is not angled so it hits the ground if the ground is to be in the shot.

See, this isn't a problem to me. It simply appears (especially to the untrained eye) like that shadow could be from fill flash. Which would also fit with the cooler color temp of the subject vs the background. And because the shadows on his face match the shadow behind I'd leave it as is.

It would look far worse if the shadows on his face didn't match the shadow on the ground.

Thanks for the clearest explanation of the issues here. :)

Julian, it seems you've got the concept, now you need to work on the details. :D

I do feel I may be a little over sensitive as well. I apologize. Though I do feel the sarcasm from "JK". I will just let it go next time. I do realize here, some people like you say things in a nice way even though it's a critique and some people say things, well, not so nice. I do like this forum and want to make some friends here and learn from everybody so I will work to have the right mindset. Thanks for reminding me that.

Julian

Just tone down the foreground exposure, you've brighten it and you up a little too much.

If you don't like someone's tone of criticism you can use the "ignore" function. You won't see their posts anymore. Easy peasy.

I have seen shots similar to this that may have fixed the wide angle problem by having the subject sit and/or shoot lower and straight( er) on to subject so there is less distortion while maintaining as wide angle possible for background effect.

As far as JK, wait till I answer a subjective/ controversial post before my coffee; I'll be ignored in no time haha!

Everyone takes things out of context on forums, Ive seen advanced new guy there 'arguing' with a few people already and it can easily spread like a virus. Nothing drastic yet but Im here for the fireworks and have popcorn handy.

I like it. I'll tell you there are a lot of armchair pro's and there are pro's with personal tastes that differ. Yeah, I can tell a fill light was used, that may bother some, it's not a natural look. That said it's a fun image, you look good and that background, wow.

I don't agree with the others who say the shadow is wrong. It's obviously a flash causing that shadow and just because it doesn't match the shadows from the natural light in the scene doesn't mean it's "wrong." Cool shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back