Does this selective colouring work?

DrunkenGiraffe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Or is it way too cliche?
I find that his nose detracts a little from his eyes, as it is the only other part of the image that has a bright colour so I thought maybe by making it black and white it will make it less important.
...or I just wanted an excuse to try selective colouring as I have avoided it because it almost always looks bad...

DSC_0286agsmall.jpg

Original

DSC_0286agsd.jpg

Last edited:
I dont hate it but rather than a full selective colouring, what about a partial desaturation of the image overall (about -45) and then brush back in the full saturation of the eyes?

I really like the selective coloring in the first pic. I think it helps in giving the eyes a greater sense of intensity.

I think so, it draws your attention to the eyes but without you thinking there is something not quite right here, the cats colouring is reasonably subtle anyway.

Just remember, its your shot though, so more importantly what do you think?

drunkengiraffedsc0286ag.jpg

How's that for a change? I brightened the eyes a bit and did some cropping to emphasize the eyes, in respect to the rule of thirds (also explains why the nose seems to be the main focus of the original picture).

ry%3D400

That should do the trick.

Okay I'm sorry, that was a joke, and a stupid one at that.
Haha, but to be real here, selective coloring doesn't do the picture justice. The fur tones compliment your feline's eyes, and so by using selective coloring you're taking the compliment away, and IMO that takes away from the beauty of the eyes. If you're to use selective coloring you should (IMO) up the contrast a bit to take advantage of the dark lines leading to the cat's eyes.
I would keep it in color though, and as another forum member suggested I would desaturate the colors in the fur just a bit.

ry%3D400

That should do the trick.

LOL!

To be even more indecisive, when looking back at the original uncropped picture, I think I might even like it better...I'm not sure.

DSC_0286asmall.jpg

I definitely agree that the desatured a little works better than full selective colouring though.

I like the crop.. The collar ruins the original IMO.. I like the ears in the picture but if it gives it some weird ratio thats unprintable then go with your original crop.

Most reactions

Back