Does This Work?

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I shot this a month or so ago and keep going back to it because I think there's something I like. I was trying to use the track curving to the left and then back to the right as a leading line to the train as it came around a turn. Not much I could do about the background and other distractions.

Does it work or is it a fail? It won't hurt my feelings either way ;) I'm just curious what others think of it. Personally I think it would have been better if I'd gotten more of the foreground track in focus.

2012-10-28-52.jpg

I like trains so I like the shot, however, I do find my eyes moving around because of all the other elements in the picture. I kind of like the track in the foreground being out of focus. :)

Thanks, Tami. I agree that there are a lot of VERY distracting elements in it but there wasn't much I could do about them. There just wasn't any where I could get that was any less distracting. In fact there were only a couple of places I could get where the track curved like that, and both were pretty much the same as far as distracting elements go. It all looks nice from a scale modeling standpoint, but not so much from a photography standpoint.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate them.

Usually i dislike foreground blurs; but here i find it working...

How big is that train? why i find it like a toy train ? or that a kids train in park?

Regards :D

Usually i dislike foreground blurs; but here i find it working...

How big is that train? why i find it like a toy train ? or that a kids train in park?

Regards :D
Thanks, Frequency. I appreciate the comments.

It is a model train, I think someone there said it was "G" scale but I'm not really familiar with them. The front of the engine is probably about 6" tall or about the height of a camera body.

Hey Scott, I almost like this, I really like the blurred track. I think where it falls short is the tree dead center, I follow the track and directly up that tree, it breaks the flow. If I hold my hand over the right side of the image and put the tree at the edge (unfortunately eliminating the cabin :( ) I think it flows much better.

Hey Scott, I almost like this, I really like the blurred track. I think where it falls short is the tree dead center, I follow the track and directly up that tree, it breaks the flow. If I hold my hand over the right side of the image and put the tree at the edge (unfortunately eliminating the cabin :( ) I think it flows much better.

Yeah, I know. There's jut really not a good way to frame it. I was there again this morning and tried to get a better shot of it. No matter what I did I wound up right back in the same spot. I'm going to take your advice and play with the cropping some though. Your hesitation with "I almost like this" is exactly my position. I think there's something there I like I just haven't been able to dig it out yet ;)

Thanks for the comments.

Most reactions

Back