Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, so I'm practicing my DOF...

Here are my results..

368620833_ec58ba4360_o.jpg

368620839_4786fc3809_o.jpg

368620834_81368246d1_o.jpg

It certainly looks like you've figured out how to change the depth of field and the focal plane. What were you going for?

Just to see if I could do it. It was just practice. Someone told me I had horrible DOF so I did some experimentation just to make sure I have the hang of it. Thanks!

looks like you did it.
Nice way to view diff DOF also

On your 2nd and 3rd frames you loose focus on the right hand side. Try focusing 1/3 of the way into the frame with a small aperature. That way, you should be able to get everything in sharp focus.

Well, I was going for focusing on one thing at a time. I only wanted one piece of green in focus at a time. I didn't want everything in sharp focus. But, if I misunderstood you, please explain further. I'm new to photography..

Well, I was going for focusing on one thing at a time. I only wanted one piece of green in focus at a time. I didn't want everything in sharp focus. But, if I misunderstood you, please explain further. I'm new to photography..

Then you weren't talking about DOF, you were just doing selective focus, with the same DOF in all shots.

In each shot, only one set of leaves were in focus. That is a shallow DOF using a large aperature.

If you used a small aperature such as f/22, all leaves and fence rungs would be in focus.

http://GilTphoto.com

Ok...thanks! Someone told me that was a good way to develop DOF skills.. They must've been wrong... Is there any way I can develop my DOF skills?

Try this: Set you camera at f22. Shoot the scene letting the camera autofocus where it will. Now do it again with the camera focused 1/3 into the image. Repeat with same scene and same 2 focus points at f8, now do again with lens set at widest possible aperature (smallest number). Compare the images side by side. This will help you to grasp the effect of different aperatures and different focus points.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back