DOF & Lens Focusing Question

cumi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi!

I have a question: let's say, a lens (Nikkor 18-70 on my D70s) has a hyperfocal distance at X meters (with given F, focal length, etc). What happens, if I have a subject beyond this distance?

Options:
- The camera/lens focus to the subject, so the "near distance" of DOF will be "farer" (beyond of the half of the hyperfocal distance), so I loose on DOF.
- The camera/lens stil focuses to hyperfocal, because it makes no sense to focus beyond it...

Thank you.

im gona guess your lens will focus on the far object.
using manual focus will solve this problem.

fightheheathens said:
im gona guess your lens will focus on the far object. using manual focus will solve this problem.

:grumpy: That what I was hoping not to do.

Example:

at 18mm, F3.5
the hyperfocal distance is = 4,65m
near (DOF) distance = 2,325m

but if I focus to 100m the near (DOF) distance = 4,42m

When doing everything manually, I have always to know exatcly the hyperfocal distances...

As far as I know, they all focus on the subject. Using hyperfocal distance can be useful, but the sharpest part of the image will still be the focal point. The DOF area is where most people won't notice it getting blurry much, but it still does the further you get from the focal point. I think the manufacturers are taking the safe and easy way out. Trying to tell the camera what your intent is with hyperfocal can get complicated. Some do have a DOF feature, where you focus on a spot and press the shutter halfway, focus on an other spot and press the shutter halfway, and then the camera chooses the right aperture to have both in focus.

Most reactions

Back