DOF?

ok dof or depth of field is a functuion of aperature or f stop.. The higher the number the smaller the aperature and the greater the dof. Dof is the amount of the photo in focus from front to back. Things like flower macros look better with a shallow dof therefore wide aperature (low f number) and things like landscapes look better with a wide dof therefore small aperature (high f number). Experiment with DOF because in photography rules are made to be bent or broken. Try it and see what looks best.

Excellent descriptions/links for DOF by everyone… The only thing I would add is that the plane of focus within a given depth of field extends 1/3rd in front of the subject in focus to 2/3rds behind.

Ringo said:
What would you know! My site's for the beginning photographer. Have a look at the bottom half of the page-

http://www.betterphotography.net/tut_lens.html

The descriptions for both images at the bottom of the page state they were both done at f3.5, but you don't really explain what the difference in the photo's is. I can tell the difference is what you focused on, however in a tutorial you should probably explain this, especially when the tutorial is being written for a beginner.

Cheers,

Rashadan said:
The descriptions for both images at the bottom of the page state they were both done at f3.5, but you don't really explain what the difference in the photo's is. I can tell the difference is what you focused on, however in a tutorial you should probably explain this, especially when the tutorial is being written for a beginner.

Cheers,

I believe it actually does state the difference in the description under the image. The point I'm getting across with those two images is that just because you know how to use depth of field, doesn't make an image any better, as illustrated by the second image. It's obvious to me, but I've been doing it for quite a while. Thanks for giving a new perspective.

Now, enough thread thievery! :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back