Dog/park pictures from latest roll (film photos) C&C

cestlefun17

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
How do these look? Anything off on the exposure, composition, or focusing? I'm still fairly a beginner...this is only the third or fourth roll of black and white film I've shot.

Thanks!

(EDIT: #2 looks blurry when viewed at full resolution. I think this one required a longer shutter speed. I wish I had a tripod!)

9387205327_b05de47cbb_k.jpg

9387539541_01ee98a428_k.jpg

9389962348_044d00ca7d_k.jpg

Last edited:
Why a slower shutter speed for #2? It seems like it's properly exposed for a sunny day. You don't want to go too slow or you'll blow it out, plus there's more risk of blur, especially if you're using an SLR (too slow a shutter speed when handheld and you'll get shake from the mirror slap.) I think the focus is just off, not the exposure. Were you using manual focus?

My favorite one is the dog.

The first one seemed underexposed at first glance and perhaps it is, but you still get detail in the shadows. Just seems flat. Missing some midtones, maybe?

Sorry, I meant to say that I think my camera (set in aperture-priority mode), automatically put it on a long shutter speed (1 second) for that shot. There were a couple shots where I was standing in the shade, and the camera unexpectedly (I forgot to look at the display to see the shutter speed) kept the shutter open for longer than I thought, and they came out blurry. I think that was one of those shots.

Sorry, I meant to say that I think my camera (set in aperture-priority mode), automatically put it on a long shutter speed (1 second) for that shot. There were a couple shots where I was standing in the shade, and the camera unexpectedly (I forgot to look at the display to see the shutter speed) kept the shutter open for longer than I thought, and they came out blurry. I think that was one of those shots.

Ah, that makes sense.

The first two shots are kind of tricky because you have bright highlights and also shadow. If you expose solely for one, you lose the other. Looking at them again, the first one has good detail in the shadow without blowing out the highlights, which is good, but again, perhaps it's a bit too contrasty and needs some midtones to liven it up. The second on might do better with some cropping of the foreground.

Most reactions

Back