Domain Name Choices

Ommidon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking into creating a new website and the "yourname.com" and "yournamephotography.com" are already taken. I realize this is probably akin to beating a dead horse but my question is a matter of options. Is it better to choose something like "yournameonline.com" or would I be better off going with something like adding a middle initial, full middle name or excluding the last name and using only first and middle? I know there are a ton of variations available to every name but I'm trying to pin down whether or not to include "photography" or some variation into the domain name itself or just focus on one with just some version of my name instead. I noticed there are several well known photographers that use just their name and exclude "photography" from their domain name entirely so which option is preferable?

I decided against using any connection to my name for the domain name, simply because the business experience I've had tells me it's next to impossible to sell a business if it's in your name. lol.. Plus if I want to hire photographers, etc, etc, it all can be wrapped in nicely without worrying about actual person's names.

I don't think there is a "better" or "preferable" option. I went with "johnsphotography" simply because I appreciate simple and direct; I don't want people having to try and figure out if there are one or two 'N's' in my last name if they've just heard it, etc.

So there really is no difference whether I use a version of just my name or add in the "photography" or some version of such at the end of the domain at all to customers? Is it simply a matter of preference from photographer to photographer and that is why there are instances of both out there among the well-known?

So there really is no difference whether I use a version of just my name or add in the "photography" or some version of such at the end of the domain at all to customers? Is it simply a matter of preference from photographer to photographer and that is why there are instances of both out there among the well-known?

That's my opinion, yes.

Ruby32,
There are many ways to market a business, but I think really oversimplifying things to those who do not understand, can do more harm.
You should mention
1 your own domain is not 6 letters
2 there are few if any 6 or 7 digit domain names left out there
3 yes, you can make up a name, but you had better have a big bank account to tell the world what it is that you do.
that is why Photography is used in many names. Now if you have a marketing budget like Yahoo, then go for it.

In mu opinion a domain name should be of six letters by which is has high page rank and can call easily like bonkos, and whatever. You have a photography business then the names like picfly, and all like that will suit your business. But i must say that the domain name with six letters is great.

mixing letters and numbers can come back and haunt you, stay away from to,too,2,two.

A simple test is to tell the name to a person over the phone once and have them spell it back to you.

Supposedly sometime in 2012 the domain ".photo" will be available. However I cannot find any information about when or how much it will cost.

You could try '.net', when I was getting my art site made the name I wanted was available in that.

I'm looking into creating a new website and the "yourname.com" and "yournamephotography.com" are already taken. I realize this is probably akin to beating a dead horse but my question is a matter of options. Is it better to choose something like "yournameonline.com" or would I be better off going with something like adding a middle initial, full middle name or excluding the last name and using only first and middle? I know there are a ton of variations available to every name but I'm trying to pin down whether or not to include "photography" or some variation into the domain name itself or just focus on one with just some version of my name instead. I noticed there are several well known photographers that use just their name and exclude "photography" from their domain name entirely so which option is preferable?

You'll see that a people will use their name in some sort of way most of the time. I feel it makes it more personal and humanizes your company.
I say post of a list of URLs you've come up with and see how they look.

I went with my first name and last initial

Shaun M. Photography - Home

It's who I am, and it's what I do. I didn't use my last name because it allows me to have an ounce of anonymity.
If I ever actually go pro, I will most likely include my last name.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back