dominent eye

RockstarPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is a topic i haven't seen discussed here. Did you know that you have a dominant eye? Just like if your right or left handed you are also left or right eye dominant. It has no bearing on if you are right or left handed. I learned this being a pool player and knowing which eye to level over the stick for aiming. I think it brings up a good point in our photography. You may well be using the wrong eye to look through your viewfinder!

Here is a quick test to determine what is your dominant eye. It may open a whole new world for you

Dominant Eye Test

We've had it before a few times in the past ;)

Also all I've read states that eye dominance is often linked to hand dominance but its opposite. So those who are typically left handed are right eye dominant and vis-versa.

Regardless I'm left handed and right eye dominant - though I shoot mostly with my left eye because I find that just gives me a more natural feeling hold over the camera. I know its using the "wrong eye" but I can't hold the camera as stable nor as comfortably if I'm using my right eye - so the left gets used.

It's quite simple for me.
I have one so-called lazy eye (my right eye) which has only about 50% vision. :p
The other eye is perfectly fine. ^^

well, I haven't seen it before so I thought I would bring it up. I'm sure there isn't a topic out their that hasn't been discussed before so maybe it will give some relevance to the new people.

I guess you've never fired a gun before? ;) Its more important what your dominant eye is than your dominant hand in how you aim....

I was born and raised in ND. Guns went hand in hand with food. I just used pool as an example. And many people shoot guns with the wrong eye because they don't know any better.

I was born and raised in ND. Guns went hand in hand with food. I just used pool as an example. And many people shoot guns with the wrong eye because they don't know any better.

I was in boy scouts, so that was one of the first lessons in rifle shooting. You'd still always see some kid holding a rifle with his right arm and trying to look down the sight with his left eye or vice versa ;)

I was shooting a 20 guage shotgun at age 6. grew up on deer, pheasant, grouse, and partridge. I don't think I ever shot a gun in boy scouts, it was just a given you knew how living in western ND. lol

I was in boy scouts, so that was one of the first lessons in rifle shooting. You'd still always see some kid holding a rifle with his right arm and trying to look down the sight with his left eye or vice versa ;)

In the military that's how they taught. Once you find your dominant eye you learn to put that eye over the scope. You still shoot with your dominant hand (so right-handed means you always have the gun to your right side if possible), you just center your other eye down the sight. It sounds terrible but it's what we were taught in marksmanship training.

Then again I'm right-hand and right-eye dominant...easy for me.

And to OP, you don't have to print out the card at all. Hold your 2 hands up in front of you and make a small diamond between your thumbs and forefingers. Make it very small (so you're looking through a small opening). Stare at something at a far distance through that hole (hold your hands straight out in front of you at full arm-length) and then slowly move your hands closer to your face while keeping the target in the middle. Whichever eye you naturally end up at is your dominant eye.

I'm left eye dominant, which is a pain in the ass since I'm right handed. Holding an SLR in front of my left eye isn't so bad, but trying to do shooting sports (I'm an archery enthusiast) is very difficult -- I don't have the coordination to shoot a bow left handed and I can't use my left eye to look through the peep sight.

Im pretty sure im right eye dominant but ill still give this a go later today when i get home, thanks for sharing.

I'm right eye dominant so I'm guessing my left eye is submissive. I wonder if my right eye makes my left eye dress in rubber suits and do degrading acts while I sleep. That would explain the pink eye when I was a kid.

Left-handed, but I think Right-eye Dominant... Oddly, with the hole test, when I bring the paper to my face it ends up pretty much in the center. But when I use the pointing test, my right eye is dominant.

Most reactions

Back