Domke OutPak (or outpack) Backpacks

COz953

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just ordered a used Domke Outpak backpack. I have been able to find several reviews of the product but I can't find the specifications (size dimensions). I bought the pack to carry on a trip to Wyoming/Yellowstone in January. Has anyone who owns this bag had any recent experience flying with it as a carry-on? I'm afraid that the bag will be too large. One older review that I read said that it easily fits in the overhead compartment of most planes, but I believe this review was written prior to 9/11. It's been years since I have flown, so I'd appreciate any feedback and/or guidance from knowledgeable persons.

I have no idea how large Domke Outpak is but I have this:

http://www.tamrac.com/5275.htm

It has been with me on planes several times with no problems at all. Fits fine in the overhead compartment fully loaded without tripod. In fact, I usually see people come on board with even larger bags that take almost an entire compartment all by themselves... I personally wish they would clamp down on that unfair behavior. The dimensions are on the webpage and you should be able to compare with your Domke backpack.

Be prepared to open up the bag for inspection as the equipment sometimes gets "red flagged" as it passes through the X-ray machine. I used to have lead pouch for my film but they won't let it pass through any longer. I now fly without film and process them before my return trip. I also use zip ties instead of locks for the luggage that has my tripod. It too gets opened up for inspection quite a bit.

Guess all that tubular dense glass / metal looks suspicious on Xray.

Most reactions

Back