Don;t climb the trees, take two

DramaDork626

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.dramadork626.deviantart.com
Olympus Digital, outdoor, no flash
This time I took the picture and tom modeled. Someone suggested another angle on this one so I gave it a try. In some of them I tried using his glasses as sort of a symbol, whenev someone who had glasses anbd in being attacked, say in a movie, they always show their glasses falling to the ground to show they are kinda done for. I had wanted him to have his eyes wide open, but the sun was very bright and he couldn't do that so I let him close them. I was gonna have him face the other way but there was too much sun shining there and it would have ruined the shot. So anyway, tell me what you think of this new angle and which one looks best
tomdontclimb2.jpg

tomdontclimb.jpg

tomdontclimb3.jpg

I did not post to your last photo because I was uninterested but I feel compelled now that there is a second round that IMO are not as good as the first. You say you like the "dark" angle, yet these are quite parochial. I know you are working with what you have available but I think you can do much more. Stretch your imagination to find what is truly “disturbing” (within your comfort zone). Picture the scene in your mind and create it physically. Go further than you can imagine. After you feel you created something then search the internet for photographers who are known for their shocking or grim images, (others can post names if they like). I say after because it would be best for you to create your own style first then see what others have done.

I once had an exercise that lasted the entire semester. We had to create a scene, alter it each week and take a photo. The goal was to picture in your mind something that was not there, create it and perfect it. It was interesting, many were far better than what I did but it helped extend our imagination a little deeper each week.

Babbling again – finished.

Heh, I have only taken one photography class, back in my sophmore year of high school, so I have been sort of teaching myself over the years. though next semester I intend to take a class here on campus (so far my scheduel has not been alowing any room for it, this semester i am already taking the limit of 18 credits and Im also a theater major). I had hoped to to better than this on the re shoot. But there were a couple of issues, my model could not opne his eyes due to the sun shining directly on him. Also I am out of fake blood (not even kidding, I usually own some,but i got through it quickly with my photoshoots, though now that its only a month before halloween, it shouldn't be too hard to get some). I do tend to look at other people's macabre photography, but most of them use digital manipulation for it and I don't like to do that. While it is true, my resources are limited at the time, in the meantime I am trying to work on things in more of the big picture rather than the nitpicky things. I don't know. I have always been more of a look at the big picture thing when it comes to photography. If something looks good to my eye, I don't always worry about the small things. But I am also a musician who tends to critique musicians alot so I understand where professional photographers come from on their critiquing
And I shall shut up now, heh.

To me, it looks like the guy is just sleepin ( albeit awkwardly ) on a park bench.

I see a bit of the tree but it all it says to me is : " Hi I'm just a tree standing here in the background ...Don't mind me...". I wouldnt have interpreted the scene as a 'dark, tragic tree fall' sorta scene.

I think you were on the right track with the first set , taken from the tree and looking down on the scene. Perhaps try things such as shootin the pic through tree branches, perhaps showing a shoe stuck in a branch if you could get it in the shot as well. Place the subject in a painful looking awkward angle with maybe blood dribbling out from the corner of their mouth. Perhaps throw a couple of small tree branches/ leaves around the subject, in their hair, apply some 'scratches' on their face. Etc Etc.

I think B&W would work really well to create that 'dark' mood.... perhaps with the blood colored deep red for a splash of 'drama'. The b&w might lend it a 'newspaper/crime scene kinda effect.

Anyway, I'm babbling too. Like tmpa said, imagine the scene in your mind and play around with it some more.

yup, yup, I was thinkin the same. In fact thats what I wanted in the first place, but not all the resources were available at the moment. I am probly gonna try this yet again in the future...

Most reactions

Back