Donating Cameras and Equipment - Need Ideas and How to

GeorgieGirl

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I hope this is the correct forum to post this; if not I hope it is located properly.

I have some items that I'd prefer to donate rather than sell. I have some film cameras, such as Canon and Olympus. I have a digital camera as well that is a Canon. I have some odd and ends like a flash and some lenses and some Cokin filters that I am not going to use any longer.

If you could help me with ideas on how I can find out best donation opportunities for an individual or a small school, I have no idea where to look or even who would be best to donate to. None of the items will bring life changing cash to me so my goal would be to give away so that it can be a opportunity for someone who does not have funds to learn with.

Appreciate your feedback. :sillysmi:

I'd phone up your local schools and any colleges and offer what you have to them if you want to donate. They might be willing to take some of the gear off you, though if they have an established outfit chances are they'll only pick around your gear not take it all.

From then you could look at local camera clubs as most of the larger groups will have a sale time or you could easily find one or two members who might be very grateful to get some equipment to work with ( a fair few digital shooters often want to experiment with film).

If you still can't get rid of it after that have a look for local market sales/auction houses - you can dump off the stuff in boxes and chances are it will only go for a few £/$s but it gets it out of your hair.

I am a newbie and have very little equipment. I have a canon 50D and a 50mm lens and a 24-105mm lens. Do you have anything that you think would help me out? I have a lot to learn. :) TIA

I think I should make myself a bit clearer...

My post was to obtain information on how to donate to people who don't have the economic means to pursue photography. It was not my objective or intent to list items for donation on this site for others to ask for or to benefit from; the description was to allow those who were inclinded to offer an idea of the usefulness of the equipment since a body is needed to pursue photography and it seems those of us who post here are privileged to have at least a body and a lens in our kit bags.

We do have a local camera club in town; I will ask them if they know of any local young people who may benefit from a camera of their own. Any other ideas along those lines, please keep them coming. :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back