Done with Adobe

myvinyl333

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.livegigshots.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
LR 2-5 is about to be discontinued on my Mac and PC. It is too cumbersome and I HATE the CLOUD!

Not looking for open source. If there is a "kind" soul with "experience" outside of Adobe I would appreciate some advice- Thank You in advance

Last edited:
I really don't understand why so many people hate LR and PS CC. Literally the only thing different is paying $10/month and that's nothing for how useful both products are

LR 2-5 is about to be discontinued on my Mac and PC. It is too cumbersome and I HATE the CLOUD!

Not looking for open source. If there is a "kind" soul with "experience" outside of Adobe I would appreciate some advice- Thank You in advance

What camera are you shooting?

Joe

Is it the monthly fee that turns you away?

Pick up a copy of Lightroom 6 and never pay another penny. Or if you just don't like adobe in general, look into Aperture. I've dabbled in it a bit. I like LR better, but there were parts about Aperture I liked as well.

Joe

I just saw one of your other posts. You have a Sony A7. Sony cameras come with a free copy of Capture One Express. You can download it for free; check the data with your camera.

Once you have Capture One Express you get a discount to upgrade to Capture One Pro. The DAM functions of LR are better but Capture One's cataloging feature is usable. Raw file conversion in C1 offers more functionality than Adobe and for my money does a better job -- at least much more convenient as it's a more complete single solution.

Joe

Joe

I just saw one of your other posts. You have a Sony A7. Sony cameras come with a free copy of Capture One Express. You can download it for free; check the data with your camera.

Once you have Capture One Express you get a discount to upgrade to Capture One Pro. The DAM functions of LR are better but Capture One's cataloging feature is usable. Raw file conversion in C1 offers more functionality than Adobe and for my money does a better job -- at least much more convenient as it's a more complete single solution.

Joe
I bought the A7 used, but I will look in the box. Thank you very much for the information.

Joe
Sony A7

The only other option that compares to LR/PS is capture one pro.

You could try out darktable | the photo workflow software
I only tried it in the very early version, so not sure how it is now ... or if your A7 is supported ... and I don't think it is supported for Windows.

Darktable is MAC/Linux only and not available for Windows. It is however an excellent raw converter -- very capable and superb results.

Joe

P.S. It's free.

Joe

Joe
I bought the A7 used, but I will look in the box. Thank you very much for the information.

I don't think you need to do anything except have a serial number and download the software: Capture One Express Imaging Software for Sony | Phase One

Joe

DXO Optics Pro 10.

I love it.

Provided that you do not have a *problem* with free, I would suggest Lightzone for all-around catalogue, edit and conversion. It used to be payware, and it is pretty decent.

As for Raw conversion on mac, Raw Photo Processor is good, depending on your level of technical skill. It produces very, very good files. It has always been my favorite processor. However, it is very technical to use.

Can you simply purchase a licensed copy of Lightroom, and keep using it? That seems like a good alternative to the monthly fee model...buy your own copy, and own it, rather than the monthly tithing model.

Most reactions

Back