Don't have clarity :(

tinytina

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I'm new to my camera (Canon Rebel XSi) but I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong with it... my pictures don't come out with any clarity.. most of the time it's really grainy. What am I doing wrong? :(

3127070123_aa90c07a99_b.jpg

3196761993_f712907cb9_b.jpg

3190098992_872dc1785e_b.jpg

Hmmmm these shots don't look grainy to me....

Welcome to the forum.

These don't look too grainy to me...maybe a little bit in the darker areas of the last one.

It will really help if you give us some more info...like what settings were used for the shots in question.

I'm just learning my new digital and not having much luck with my photos either, but I have to say that your second shot is fantastic! I love it! The angles, the color, - really cool shot.

Firstly I have to ask what ISO you are using - a higher ISO will add more grain (noise) into shots and I would sya for the camera you are using ISO 400 wants to be your max with ISO 800 for pushing it (anything higher and I would expect noise to be too high).

Also have you used any noise removal on the shots?

oops forgot to post EXIF data

For the first one (sky with clouds):
Exposure: 0.005 sec (1/200)
Aperture: f/10
Focal Length: 55 mm
ISO Speed: 100

For the second one (snow):
Exposure: 0.25 sec (1/4)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 179 mm
ISO Speed: 400

For the third one (blue sky with tree):
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 90 mm
ISO Speed: 400

I try to make sure my ISO speed isnt too high for what I need...

My pictures just don't seem to have that "pop" other pictures have... that shine. (like in the other thread with "First picture with my new DSLR" with the beautiful cat!)

The first image looks fine...I don't really see any noise in it.

The second image looks fine too.

The third image does have something going on in it but I'm not sure if it's noise. What photo editor are you using?

Sharpening an image will exaggerate noise.

I'm using Adobe Lightroom... yeah I think I may have used the sharpening tool, I should have made the connection, didn't realize it increases noise. thanks!

are you sure youre not just bragging? i like these pictures and they're better than anything ive produced.

noo I'm serious! When I see pictures as clear as the one here (random person's beautiful picture), I just want my pictures to look like that... shiny!

Part of it might be a high quality lens, part of it is post processing, part of it might be technique and good light etc.

Don't worry too much about what you are seeing from others and work on what you are shooting.

Part of it might be a high quality lens, part of it is post processing, part of it might be technique and good light etc.

Don't worry too much about what you are seeing from others and work on what you are shooting.

EXACTLY. It seems some people think photo "quality" is an arms race - they aren't trying to get better for themselves, but to beat someone else.

The grain is simply ISO noise. The photograph you linked was taken with (I'm guessing) an 85MM F/1.8 prime from Canon and a high end camera that better handles noise and color rendition. And I suspect, as Mike said, a teeny bit of Photoshop post going on. Nothing more. Get an El Cheapo 50MM F/1.8 prime, slap it on your camera, and take a nice mid-morning shot of some cliche flowers (with a color other than green), and I'm sure you'll be slackjawed at what comes out versus what you have been doing.

That person's photo has very nice lighting. That's what makes it look the way it does. It also was shot with a very wide aperture, so it's got some buttery bokeh in the background. Your camera would get a very similar shot if you used the same settings in that scene.

It is all in the lighting and camera quality. THe photo you mentioned was taken with a setup 5x the cost of yours.

Most reactions

Back