Don't judge a donkey by his stripes

CarlosFrazao

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Was early morning about 7am found this guy just finishing up his breakfast... Really enjoy photographing zebras, each and every zebra has different stripes and patterns not one is the same just like the human finger print.

Great shots Carlos!
From the title I was expecting a Zedonk - a Donkey/Zebra cross apparently first produced at Colchester zoo after a Zebra got out of it's enclosure. The zoo subsequently bread them as disease resistant draft animals through most of the 70's.

I thought they were called zonkeys
I thought it depended on which species is father, rather like Ligers & Tiglons for Lion/Tiger cross breads or Mules & Hinnys for Donkey/Horse mixes.

But Wikipedia suggests the male provides the first part of the name (though it lists both Zedonk & Zonkey. Colchester zoo definitely called theirs Zedonks, the last of which died in 2009.
Colchester Zoo definitely called theirs Zedonks, their last one died in 2009.

Lol that's really cool, but from what I knw these are plain zebras not any form of hybrids

I thought they were called zonkeys
I thought it depended on which species is father, rather like Ligers & Tiglons for Lion/Tiger cross breads or Mules & Hinnys for Donkey/Horse mixes.

But Wikipedia suggests the male provides the first part of the name (though it lists both Zedonk & Zonkey. Colchester zoo definitely called theirs Zedonks, the last of which died in 2009.

i thought a horse/donkey hybrid was a honkey?

Most reactions

Back