Don't know what macro lens to get

I think the 60 2.8G can focus 1:1 as well, but your lens is practically in front of the subject..you could add some extension tubes that would help you a bit and maybe even go beyond 1:1.

I haven't tried any portraits with the 105 yet..but I have some seen really nice looking ones and I have to say I am really pleased how the out of focus elements render, its funny when you look through the rear lens element and play with the aperture lever and see a perfectly round hole.

The day I got it, I did snap a quick picture of my mom and managed to blow the background out pretty well..but not as good as the 105 f/2 DC or even the 85 1.8G for that matter..but it did pretty well, I was surprised. But if you are doing say chest area and up or even just headshots...you can pretty much through the entire background out of focus. But the biggest advantage to this lens is well the VR, its super handy and eats up your battery life..but it works amazingly well even helps when doing macro stuff, but I'm typically on a tripod and using live view when doing macros, so I turn it off to save battery life.

Being able to either 1) shoot from farther back and still get a nice close image, or 2) the greater magnification of 105 allowing for options with macro shots. Also, I've heard that 105 is fantastic for portraits (though I know some people earlier in this thread disagreed with that).

You won't get any increased magnification. Nearly all proper macro lenses on the market today (prime lenses that is the zoom macros are different) get to 1:1 magnification at their closest focusing point. That is
Size of the subject reflected on the sensor : Size of the subject in real life.

As such the frame coverage is the same. I've a 35mm, 65mm, 70mm and 150mm macro lenses and each one gives me about the same at 1:1. There is a tiny tiny bit of play due to calibrations and such but nothing vastly different (ergo you don't see it unless you're comparing side by side frames).

If you want more magnification then you have to consider close up lens attachments (like the Raynox series ones or the Canon 500D and 250D); extension tubes (or bellows); teleconverters - or a combination of several of those.
You can also get some lenses that do more magnification. Canon has the MPE 65mm f2.8 macro which goes from 1:1 to 5:1 (ergo it can't focus on anything more than a few cm in front of the lens). There is also the Venus 60mm f/2.8 which goes from infinity to 2:1 (although whilst its optically a very good performer it is fully manual - manual focusing AND manual aperture control - no electronics at all).

Most reactions

Back