Don't take my photo, it can be used to discriminate me

(Ghastly) Krueger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi
A few minutes ago I went for a spin to do some errands, and trying to get some pics of objects I've targeted before.

While waiting on a red light I saw a group of people which would make an interesting image. They were informal workers (clean car windows, sell stuff, jugglers, so on) resting and chatting in the shade.

I would normally just pass by, but inspired by some posts here, I looked for a parking spot and walked to them. I said "Hello, is it OK if I take a photograph of you?"

The lady answered "No, they are used to discriminate us!" and one of the gentlemen said "yeah, you never know where dose will end".

I just said "thanks anyway and left"
------------------------
I didn't expect that answer. Been thinking for a while about them and what bad experience they might have with photographs.
------------------------
So instead of a pic, I'll describe the scene:
First there was a mature gentleman in a wheelchair holding a bottle with soap water. The window cleaners use them to squirt the windows and kindof force you to have them cleaned. He was having a good time chatting with his pals and had an expression of there is nothing wrong in my life.

2nd gentleman was a bit featurless, just listening to the 1st.

Then there was the old lady. She had a small table infront of her with an assortment of candies. These would have added colour to the shot. Her expression was quite sad and hopeless.

Last in the row was a young fellow. You'd say "gangsta' style". He looked like he was thinking "this is all **** I need to find something else to do"
----------------------------------------

Hmmm... I guess it's true, an image is better than 1000 words.

The point of the thread? Not much, I guess... a little venting is all.
----------------------------------------

Later I got to one of the spots I originally intended to shoot. Started composing as planned... checked the background.... someone had pasted a poster for a male-stripper show. Mr. Fantastic or something like that was right behind my main subject.

Oh well.

Some people are OK with getting their pic taken, and others are not. I think the important thing is that we always respect their wishes.

I recently deleted a few pics off my flickr site becuase of an unusual request from a family member. No questions asked... gone. I would do the same for a stranger, if it was a picture involving them and if they requested it.

I know you did the right thing.

Lol @ the male stripper poster in the background. Thats the kind of thing one could see posted in the bloopers forum at flickr!

I guess you should have asked them to explain. I know a paparazzi tip is "don't ask". I'd usually make a motion of intent with the camera and gauge the reaction. But I'm like Jerry and I don't upset anyone, no pic is no problem by me and I'll delete it for the sake of peace.

I think you did the right thing by asking first.
.Then I would have gotten out the long lens from a distance.

The problem with asking is that you do not really get the natural, relaxed photo that you want. Instead you get a stilted, posed photo that looks very phony, IF they say yes.

skieur

What is that old adage?

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission"

I personally do not believe in that, becuase it kinda tramples on people's rights and beliefs, but I suppose that the paparatzi live by it and manage to squeek quite a few shots in there that they normally would not get.

My value judgements are a little different, I suppose.

What is that old adage?

I personally do not believe in that, becuase it kinda tramples on people's rights and beliefs, but I suppose that the paparatzi live by it and manage to squeek quite a few shots in there that they normally would not get.

My value judgements are a little different, I suppose.

For me it is simply a photographic judgement rather than a value judgement. What I am, I suppose asking is: If you ask, is the resulting photo worth the effort? If the answer is often No, then the decision becomes either to ask, not bother taking it or asking, or take it without permission.

I am not suggesting any answers here, just precisely indicating the photographic dilema.

skieur

It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission.

Judge each situation on it's own merits. How you would feel if the shoe was on the other foot?

...'it can be used to discriminate me'...:lol: (note: the proper word is incriminate)

...don't misundertake me (Cheech & Chong)...

There's one park in downtown Raleigh that is always full of homeless people, most of whom really do not like being photographed. I discovered, though, that almost everyone would let me take their photo if let them bum a cigarette off me (I don't smoke anymore. Sometimes I'm tempted to pick it back up just for this purpose). Call it brash, but I got my shots and they got their smokes. I call it fair trade.

There's one park in downtown Raleigh that is always full of homeless people, most of whom really do not like being photographed. I discovered, though, that almost everyone would let me take their photo if let them bum a cigarette off me (I don't smoke anymore. Sometimes I'm tempted to pick it back up just for this purpose). Call it brash, but I got my shots and they got their smokes. I call it fair trade.

You don't need to pick it back up, Just keep a pack with you. Yeah prolly be a little difficult to resist the urge but still....Taking it back up just for that would be stupid to put it bluntly, I know you know that but it had to be said.

Besides, a homeless guy who can't afford smokes dosent care if it's stale or not...trust me I know, I was one of them a few years back.

I know you did the right thing.

Thanks, yeah, I know, it just made me think.

I guess you should have asked them to explain.

Yep. or maybe strike a conversation first, then ask to make the pic. I'm just really introverted... approaching stranger is not my strongest point.
[/quote]

The problem with asking is that you do not really get the natural, relaxed photo that you want. Instead you get a stilted, posed photo that looks very phony, IF they say yes.

skieur

Yep, better than having them upset or feeling abused.

Then I would have gotten out the long lens from a distance.

I was only carrying a 28mm :p

What is that old adage?

quote]

There is also "better safe than sorry" ;)

For me it is simply a photographic judgement rather than a value judgement. What I am, I suppose asking is: If you ask, is the resulting photo worth the effort? If the answer is often No, then the decision becomes either to ask, not bother taking it or asking, or take it without permission.

I am not suggesting any answers here, just precisely indicating the photographic dilema.

skieur

Understood, I made the decision to ask based on that.

...'it can be used to discriminate me'...:lol: (note: the proper word is incriminate)

Well, the conversation was actually in Spanish... and I doubt she would've used the word for incriminate.

almost everyone would let me take their photo if let them bum a cigarette off me

I cheked my wallet before asking and decided how much I was willing to offer (cash, I had no other stuff on me to offer)... but their answer was quite definitive.

By the way, those of you that did ask permission to shoot street people, was the resulting photo of sufficient quality to make it worthwhile and the "right" decision photographically?

skieur

Skieur,
I'm a fan of 'don't ask street photography' for sure. But I have gotten some pretty good shots after asking. What I do is pretend to take pictures for a while until I can tell they've relaxed around the camera, then I get my best shots. But by letting them know, you can help avoid them moving at the last second and destroying your shot. And I feel you can also get much closer and more personal, if that's the kind of shot you're looking for.

Most reactions

Back