Double exposure

Ohio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Double exposure is something that fascinates me, but how to do it? On old cameras like holga all you have to do is click twice and it's a double exposure but on most new cameras the camera dosn't allow you to take another photo before forwarding the film to the next picture.

Is it possible to just take a whole roll of film, then when it's done rewind it almost all the way but leave a little film out and then take the film again and get 36 double exposures? This is a question I would like you to answer - I just did that on my camera :confused:

Newer film cameras have a setting typically, you just have to find it depending on your camera. I am pretty sure that what you did will work, but not sure of how succesful it will be since you may not know what shots are which...there are also ways to create double exposures in the darkroom as well.

On my old minulta film camera I would hold the button that would normally be used to release the tention on the film to allow a rewing when you finished the roll and advance cock the shutter. Does that makes sense? Don't forget to adjust your settings so you don't over expose the film (you can get some pretty heafty highlights if you don't). Hope this helps

tmpadmin said:
On my old minulta film camera I would hold the button that would normally be used to release the tention on the film to allow a rewing when you finished the roll and advance cock the shutter. Does that makes sense? Don't forget to adjust your settings so you don't over expose the film (you can get some pretty heafty highlights if you don't). Hope this helps

It makes sense, and I understand what you mean. But I don't get how it allows you to take another photo?

The film advance lever fills two functions- it advances the film and it cocks the shutter. Holding the film release button disconnects the gears in the takeup reel so the film won't advance. This allows you to cock the shutter using the lever without advancing the film.

Theoretically you can take 36 exposures on the first frame of the film strip. Don't ask me how I know that. ;)

photobug said:
The film advance lever fills two functions- it advances the film and it cocks the shutter. Holding the film release button disconnects the gears in the takeup reel so the film won't advance. This allows you to cock the shutter using the lever without advancing the film.

Theoretically you can take 36 exposures on the first frame of the film strip. Don't ask me how I know that. ;)

Yes...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back