Down loading from a Nikon D200 into PS

Chuck Bradford

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have just purchased a Nikon D200 as my entry into the digital world to shoot with my 4X5 and I have had some problems with PS being able to read directly from the memory card. Is there something I missed in setting up PS to read Nikon raw files?

Chuck Bradford said:
I have just purchased a Nikon D200 as my entry into the digital world to shoot with my 4X5 and I have had some problems with PS being able to read directly from the memory card. Is there something I missed in setting up PS to read Nikon raw files?
Apparently, Chuck.
But you'll have to be more specific about what you do and what your PC's or PS' subsequent reaction is. Please paint us a picture.

First of all, you should move your pictures to your hard drive via a USB card reader. Don't try and open them from the card. You'll get much better performance from your hard drive.

What version of Photoshop are you using? The Nikon D200 is a fairly new camera. You'll need either Photoshop CS, or CS2, and the latest version of the camera raw plugin.

You need a plug in for PhotoShop to read D200 NEFs. That plug in only works with CS2. You can use Nikon's software to convert the NEFs if you don't have CS2.

To give you more information, I am using CS2 and plugging the memory card into a card reader. CS2 reads & displays the jpeg files just fine, but when I click on a Raw file and error comes up that it cannot read this document. Maybe I missed some type of set up for NIkon or I need to go find a plug in to read the NEF files. Thanks for your help.

You need to get the latest version of the Camera Raw Plugin. They have to constantly add support for new cameras. Even if the extension on the D200 is .nef (the same as older models) it may be a bit different, and Adobe has to adjust photoshop to handle it.

Chuck Bradford said:
To give you more information, I am using CS2 and plugging the memory card into a card reader. CS2 reads & displays the jpeg files just fine, but when I click on a Raw file and error comes up that it cannot read this document. Maybe I missed some type of set up for NIkon or I need to go find a plug in to read the NEF files. Thanks for your help.

Go the the Adobe site and download Camera Raw 3.6 (you need 3.5 or later).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back