down to three cameras

drumbum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Side by Side Comparison at Dpreview

I've been looking at a digital camera for alittle while now, and after using a Canon 10D (and 2 days with a Canon 20D), I like what I've seen enough to purchase one.

I've been using film for a few years, and shoot nothing professional (aka photography is a hobby). Photos will be reproduced mostly on the web. I also shoot alot of street photos.

I really liked the 10D, but was wondering if it was getting alittle outdated? Would I rather have a 20D? How about the D70?

I threw the Leica in there because I liked it's specs and the picture quality seems to be great, as with any Leica.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

Are you talking about the Leica digital rangefinder? The 20D, 10D, XT, and D70 are SLRs. Are you familiar with rangefinders? It'll be somewhat different than an SLR.

Overall, I bet image quality is about the same on all of these cameras. Decide if there is a particular feature or two that would be important to you, and see which model is best in that area.

I've read about some Canon lens issues with a 10D. You'd be covered with a 20D. Tough to go wrong with a D70, D70s or Canon 20D.

I just read a review of the new Nikon D50. It's an entry level DSLR, so it lacks some features that the other cameras have. But according to the review, the image quality and autofocus are just as good, if not better than the D70s or the Rebel XT.

both railman and mike have good points. if you want nikon, either the d50, d70, or d70s will do great. if you want canon, the 350d or 20d would be great. heck, so would the 300d and the 10d. it boils down to what specs you need (want).

If most of your shots are for the web then it seems to be overkill to buy a 20D.
I have one and it's tremendous so no doubting it's quality or value but maybe not best for you. Might be better going for a 10D or even the newer Rebel. Both will be a lot cheaper and give you the same quality on the web as the 20D.
For printing big, up to poster size, then the 20D would be my choice. Rebel would be a cheaper option because i think it's the same CCD sensor but lower spec elsewhere.

Has anyone used a MInolta 7D with the vibration reduction built into the body instead of the lens? Interesting to be able to use cheap lenses and still have the VR available unlike Nikon where the VR is in the lens, you'll spend a fortune on VR lenses.

While we are on the topic of the Canon 20d, does anyone know if Canon is going to come out with an updated version of the 20d in the near future? I am very close (within a month) of buying the 20d and would hate to buy it right before the new one came out.

Thanks for any info with this.

I read rumours on the net that an updated 20D or a 20D replacement will come in Q4 of 2005.

well, the 5d is coming out. i doubt they are going to release more. but we'll see.

as for drumbum's question, it completely slipped my mind that your shots would be for mostly web. in that case, pretty much anything will work great. if you want the flexibility of an SLR, i suggest something small and light for street work. the leica is good, but it is pricey, and the noise is fairly significant at even ISO 400 (it's a small sensor). I would suggest either the nikon d50 or the canon 300d or 350d*. do you already have the 10d? because that is surely plenty for street work and web. even a P&S camera is, but you dont get the high ISO performance of a dSLR.

*if you get something smaller and cheaper like this, you can use the extra money for nice lenses, which are actually just as (if not more) important than the camera body in terms of image quality.

Leica has the Digilux 1 and the Digilux 2. Dont know much about them but there website is is really helpful.

If you haven't already checked, the reviews on the Olympus E-300 are generally pretty good. The price on the camera with two lenses is quite attractive.

Most reactions

Back