downhill goose

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Once again, i am posting a photo that just doesn't do it for me- for specific reasons. i'm wonderin' if it's just me, or if others see the same things, so please feel free to do a thorough slice and dice...

downhill_goose.jpg

Actually - I really like this shot because I feel this shot.

When I play games like Quake with my kids on the PC I can only play for a short amount of time because I start to get motion sickness.... this has the same effect on me... never saw a photo that did that before. (I mean this in a good way).

Enjoyed...

....now where's the dramamine....

I think it's a neat photo, but I'm curious as to how the shot was taken? How did you get the background to look the way it does and have the kid stay so clear? I like the pic, :thumbsup:

i shot this at f22, 100 iso, and as she went by i panned with the camera. the small fstop combined with the slow iso setting caused need for slower shutter speed, thus the blurr in the background while she stayed relatively sharp.
oh, and i did sharpen the photo as a whole post process, via ps.

i really like this shot .. b&w gives it a special feel for me :D

but i'll be nit-picky ... both ends of the sled are cropped ... but i like the photo nontheless :)

I love the picture. But Ill agree with Dew that it would have been better if the ends of the slead werent cut off. I think the picture is awesome though!!

The impression of motion is obvious due to the background. Otherwise, it would have looked like she was sitting on a motionless sled. I agree with the others... I would have liked to have the entire sled within the frame. But this is a terrific shot nonetheless. I watch and learn. :)

hi T,

I had a look at this several times, trying to be nitpicky as possible - put the only thing i could come up with was what the others had already mentioned here about the cropping of the sled. And for me in this particular picture it really doesn't seem to be that big of a deal :)

I really like, if there was any contest for depicting motion, this would be a top ten if not the winner! I find your technique interesting, i guess with the small aperature and panning you get the strong motion lines in the background:

i shot this at f22, 100 iso, and as she went by i panned with the camera. the small fstop combined with the slow iso setting caused need for slower shutter speed, thus the blurr in the background while she stayed relatively sharp.

By going back to the original question:

Once again, i am posting a photo that just doesn't do it for me- for specific reasons. i'm wonderin' if it's just me, or if others see the same things, so please feel free to do a thorough slice and dice...

I'll turn the question back to you, why doesn't this photo do it for? Hehehe, seems like all of here love it!

thank you, everyone, for the input- valuable as always. :D

i had two problems with it- lack of contrast, especially in her coat. i actually burned in a significant portion of it.

and the cropping. i was bummed, because of all the shots from this particular afternoon of sledding, this had her with the best body language, but the raw shot had the front of the sled clipped.

these motion pan-shots take some practice!
again, thanks for the help...
peace,
-t

Most reactions

New Topics

Back