Downloading to their server

Fiendish Astronaut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm doing a shoot for a clothes company's website. I'm going to there HQ, they are providing the models and the lighting and backdrop (and of course the clothing). I'll bring my camera and photography equipment. I've got an email saqying what they want and what they'll provide. At the end they say this:

We download pics from your photocards straight to our server then copy to CD for you to take away and process – can you bring a USB cable so we can connect your cameras to our computers to do the download?

This of course means they will have a copy of my pics. What's the score here? Is this common practise and am I in danger of giving away my rights to the images. I haven't signed anything yet!

Thanks in advance if you can help.

My clients only get my edit. That is why I get paid so well. One client did ask for the card and I gave it to them. Only because I knew the dude and he is excellent at the post processing. Main thing is to figure out who gets what before the shoot starts.

Love & Bass

I've done it both ways. When I work for another employer, sometimes they give me their cards, and I never see them again.
Sometimes I have to do all the legwork including PP.
It's really their gig.
Isn't there a contract? There should be, just so everyone is on the same page.

No contract just feeling things out. I got cash and I really have no use for the images myself. Thanks for your replies. I may well look to get a contract drafted though.

You've already been paid for the job, a contract needs to be in place prior to payment, most firms in uk who commission togs buy the copyright by paying a decent amount, if you've recieved little cash then you've been duped, try reading the copyright act before you take the cash, as their employee, copyright belongs to them. H

I don't sell copyrights myself. I don't see any reason to do so except to deny me what I created.
Unless you've given up your rights to the images, I wouldn't give up RAW images.

When I shoot for a paying client, I sit down with them and we review the shots taken and they pick what they want, then I edit. They only receive the edited files they've chosen in the sizes they request. They have not purchased the photos, they have purchased a license to print them once.

Most reactions

Back