DPI for jpeg

Digital Matt said:
Mark, lots of printers require that the PPI be set in the file to 300, and that is what they refer to when creating the size of the image. We have a dye sub at work that works this way, as does the Noritsu at the lab we use.
I didn't think they were that common. I guess I was thinking more of personal use. All of the ink-jet printers I know of do it through the driver. I guess that's why some labs require 300ppi, though it does lead to a lot of confusion when people go to print for themselves.

So yeah, I stand corrected. If you print yourself on an inkjet, what I said is true; but if you send your images out to print, see what kind of printer they use first and if it requires 300 dpi (not just "recommended"). If it is required, then do a resample.

I shoot normally in raw+jpg mode. I get a Raw and a camera processed jpg file for every shot I take.

When I do post my image I am working with is 300 by default from the camera. For print images I leave it this way. For web images I downsize the image to 72. I don't normally touch any other setting outside the PS crop tool. My crop tools are all set to 300.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back