dragonflies and damselflies

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
o I went out to the same spot to get more dragon fly pics with my extension tubes this time. I had a hell of a time getting the eyes in focus so some shots are OOF. Also some of these are soooo thin and tiny and there wasn't much light at the time, the DOF was very narrow for some.

Makes me want a true macro lens....hmph!

I believe the blue ones are damselflies Double-striped Bluet, I could be wrong...I'm not very good with ID :)
dragonfly-1.jpg

dragonfly-2.jpg

dragonfly-3.jpg

dragonfly-4.jpg

What's going on there? ANyone know what those red things are...I know they are not eggs?
dragonfly-5.jpg

dragonfly-6.jpg

dragonfly-7.jpg

dragonfly-8.jpg

I really love that vibrant blue colour in the first and last shots...killer! And the detail you got in the third last one is awesome. Love this series.

You're sure that "What's going on here?"-photo may be shown here, on Your Friendly Family Forum :shock:??? :wink: :lol:
Very nice, none of them is OOF, I say!
They all have some ENORMOUS eyes!!!!

Those little red/orange bead things on its tail are:

Less obvious enemies of odonates are parasitic red or green mites that gather in clumps resembling little beads on the underside of the thorax and abdomen infiltrating body tissue, causing irritation or infection. If too many are present they may also cause an instability during flight. Parasitic infestations are for some reason more common in the pond dragonflies, notably the Skimmer Family (Libellula).

Gives me the creeps now *shudders*

A-MAZ-ING... she says while picking jaw from floor...

:hail:

aschen_engel said:

Less obvious enemies of odonates are parasitic red or green mites that gather in clumps resembling little beads on the underside of the thorax and abdomen infiltrating body tissue, causing irritation or infection. If too many are present they may also cause an instability during flight. Parasitic infestations are for some reason more common in the pond dragonflies, notably the Skimmer Family (Libellula).

man it makes me shudder too :confused: why are there 2 of them though? They would even fly together.

More to come guys I'm just getting warmed up :) Hopefully I can get closer next time. THanx for the positive feedback.

aschen_engel said:

:puke: parasites.... gross.

very nice captures joat... i especially like the detailed closeup... (third from last) :thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back