Dragonfly sequence

JOAT

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well I had a heck of a time trying to capture this dragonfly in flight, I tried pre-focusing then switching to manual, I tried using AI servo and got mixed results. They didn't come out too bad but they weren't as sharp as I would have liked. I think hand holding it wasn't a good idea either but I tried...so if anyone would like to share their technique, I'm all ears! :)

I also didn't bring my extension tubes so I had to make due with the 100-400mm.

Anyway, here's a sequence I put together and some shots of the dragonfly perched.

dfly-seq.jpg

dfly01.jpg

dfly02.jpg

dfly03.jpg

dfly04.jpg

dfly05.jpg

dfly06.jpg

Absolutely stunning. Those aren't sharp enough for you? I feel like i could reach out and grab it from the last three. And that sequence in the first shot is beautifully done. :)

Hey, nice photos, they are really good, i agree with midget patrol, i think there sharp enough. What lens did you use for those and how close to the object did you need to be?

These are great! What is amazing is that you got them so sharp and they are hand held.

Great stuff!:thumbup:

They are fantastic and amazing capture for the sequence even more so concidering they were hand held and shot. I wouldn't dare do anything like that unless i stuck the thing at f32+ and used a strobe.

tim

This one is my #1. The light through the wings. Niice. DOF = superb. In Dutch, the word for 'beautiful' is 'mooi' [moy].

Je maakt mooie fotos. You make beautiful photos.

dfly06.jpg

Thanx for the positive feedback everyone. In regards to the sharpness I was implying to the first pic, the originals weren't very sharp, scaled down they look better of course, and the IS helps a ton doing these hand held.

mmphoto:I was using my 100-400mm lens for these.

Dang Bro..it is great to see your post. These are stellar shots man.

I love it.
Dragonflies are very hard to shoot. It's very rare for them to stay in one spot for a long period of time.

I agree the sequence is the best of the bunch in my eyes. I also like #5. Not sure if anyone has informed you before, but if you are posting a bunch of pictures at once, you should number them so that it is easier to comment on individual shots. Well done though.

Most reactions

Back