Drama in New Mexico (Lightning Strikes)

HikinMike

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesinthebackcountry.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
We were traveling and that night we were at the Santa Rosa Campground and RV Park in New Mexico. I don't get to see lightning too often here in California, so when the opportunity arises, I took it. You can read about that evening here.

Was a bit limited for composition due to the fence. Thanks for looking!

santa-rosa-nm-060716-01.jpg

santa-rosa-nm-060716-02.jpg

santa-rosa-nm-060716-03.jpg

looking good! Stormy weather has to be the most exciting conditions to shoot

Wow those are great. Can you tell me a bit about how you shot them? I assume longer exposures? ND filter?

We were traveling and that night we were at the Santa Rosa Campground and RV Park in New Mexico. I don't get to see lightning too often here in California, so when the opportunity arises, I took it. You can read about that evening here.

Was a bit limited for composition due to the fence. Thanks for looking!

santa-rosa-nm-060716-01.jpg

santa-rosa-nm-060716-02.jpg

santa-rosa-nm-060716-03.jpg
Beautiful set. The first one really does it for me. On a trivia(l) note, still remember when I learned that lightning goes from the ground (negatively charged) to the cloutds (postively charged). Even knowing those electrons are moving up, I still see the lightning coming down.

Very nice comp and scenes...#1 for me!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Wow those are great. Can you tell me a bit about how you shot them? I assume longer exposures? ND filter?

I don't own a GND or a lightning trigger. I used a 5D, 17-40mm, ISO 200, f/11 for all shots except for the following:

Photo #1 - One exposure at 1/20sec. I processed it twice, one for foreground the other for the sky. Hand-blended (Luminosity Masks) in Photoshop CS2.

Photo #2 - Two different exposures; 0.6sec for foreground and 1/20sec for sky. Hand-blended (Luminosity Masks) in Photoshop CS2.

Photo #3 - Two different exposures; 0.6sec for foreground and 1/8sec for sky. Hand-blended (Luminosity Masks) in Photoshop CS2.

Hope this helps.

I see, thank you Mike!

Most reactions

Back