Dream Catcher

Mekstar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking for some honest opinions please. This is my first attempt at an artistic shot with my new Pentax *ist DS. I intend to make this peice a poster print.

I tweaked the levels and color saturation in Adobe Lightroom. Then matted it in Adobe Photoshop CS. Keep in mind the below copy is much smaller in resolution. The original resolution holds much more detail.

Dream_CatcherSM.jpg

Original shot.

DC_Orig.jpg

I like it alot!
I like the purpleish tone.

Heya mekstar, welcome to ThePhotoForum! :D

Yes.
I am pretty positive that you reached your goal with this photo and the post processing work you applied to it. What was a nice and well focused photo to begin with now does look artistic and the colour you went for looks really, really good on it!

If this was your first attempt at an artistic shot, then I'd say you need to go back to the drawing board. I don't know how you define "artistic," but that photo is as plain as they come (I'm speaking about the original). If you want to be complemented on a first attempt at photoshopping a boring photo in order to make it look "artistic," then well-done.

harsh Max, you cant really achieve amazing artistic shots like that without PP. I know my camera doesnt shoot purple lol.

Its a very nice shot overall.

Toning aside, you could most certainly shoot something very close to the finished shot without post processing. But I wasn't being sarcastic in my first post when I said that it was a job well done if their intention was to take a very mundane shot and turn it into that final piece.

And yes it is "artistic," but hardly original. Granted, emulation is one of the first steps in learning most art forms, but I'm tempted to put it in the same category as old barns.

Hi Mekstar, and welcome to TPF. :)

I've moved your thread from Critique to the Graphics Programs forum, because it appears you are looking for opinions on your post-processing efforts, and that is best addressed here.

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back