Dream Job

GerryDavid said:
I would imagine your only income from this would be the selling the pictures to the local papers, so if its free, coudlnt you just get permission to take pictures? I dont remember seing photographers, well pro ones, at the games around here, of course I havent looked either, since the last game I was at was maaaaaaaaany years ago, hehe.

Also Id imagine you would need a 200 or 300mm lense for good closeups.

Thanks for the idea. :0)

If you're the official team photographer, you'd probably get paid by the club. Most sports organizations have a photographer on their staff. Otherwise, as a freelance yeah you'd just be looking to sell to the papers and stuff. Next time you watch a hockey game on TV, look at the glass, especially in the corners. There are usually 3 or 4 'camera bunkers' with little openings in the glass. That's where the pros are. :D At soccer games, they're spread out usually on the end lines about 10 ft back from the line. Soccer photographers have some of the coolest lenses...Freakin 800mm IS lens on a monopod :drool: Talk about big bucks!

And yes, you do need a pretty good zoom. I've got a 75-300 F4-5.6 that does decent work (and with my 300D's ratio, I'm shooting at a 35mm equivalent of around 480mm). To really step it up though I'd need a lower F-stop lens, at least for indoor events like hockey games (difference between a $250 lens and an $1800 lens :shock: :D ). As it is with my lens, I have to shoot at a higher ISO than I'd like to run with the shutter speeds I need to.

A pro sports team's photog would be a cool job. I would think that it's something that a "regular" pro would do on the side. Like a portrait/wedding photog.

I know that the Oilers had (or still have) the same guy do all/most of their photography for quite a long time. There are the official team pictures and individual pictures to do besides the actual games which would have lots of press photogs as well.

If someone just wanted to shoot the action...you might be better off working for the local paper or whatever.

How about working for Sports Illustrated? That would be cool. Getting to travel around going to sporting event, with close up viewing positions and then getting to shoot photos like crazy.

I've not been able to come up with a dream job. I guess my dream job would be a fat bank account I could draw off of and not have to "do" anything regularly for money.

Because any job, by its very nature, becomes what you "must" do, instead of something you want to do simply because you love it. I suppose there are things out there I could think of, but they're not real. Professional Zion Bum comes to mind. But to instantly think of making photography a profession would ultimately kill it for me. I think my creative juices would suffer, I might be tempted to put out gimmicky plonk because it sells, rather than because it's coming from my soul.

Or, something like that.

So my answer is: dream job = no job. :D Just let me play away. Keep it childlike.

Lula said:
terri wrote:
So my answer is: dream job = no job. Just let me play away. Keep it childlike.

hehehe
NO JOB Thats What I 've always dreamed of :D :wink:

No job is nice for a while, sleeping in, etc. But after a while it gets old. :0) *hasnt had a job for a while*, hehe.

That's my point exactly - I don't need a job to occupy my brain 40 hours a week. I have so many projects in mind, so much OTHER stuff I'd rather be doing - photography is forefront, but certainly not all of it - that sometimes the dayjob gets in the WAY. Okay, MOST of the time the day job gets in the way. :wink:

I really do like where I work and most of the time, it doesn't get to me. But I think we all suffer those periods where we see our lives passing by and the things that matter MORE, as a way of spending our precious time on the planet, seem to be the things we have the least time for. :x

But I think we all suffer those periods where we see our lives passing by and the things that matter MORE, as a way of spending our precious time on the planet, seem to be the things we have the least time for.

yes- :!:

terri said:
Because any job, by its very nature, becomes what you "must" do, instead of something you want to do simply because you love it.
Yes, I agree. That's why I don't want to turn my photography into a career. Selling prints as a bonus income is ok because I'm still doing what I want but if my whole income depended on how much I sell then I would only take pictures of what everyone else likes as opposed to what I like.

I've had this problem when deciding to make computer graphics design as my major. I was really excited with the freedom and creatively I had doing school projects but when I got some jobs in the real world I quickly learned that it was very limiting. Your creativitly is held back because a lot companies want to stick with what works rather then try some new designs. You can push the designs but most people don't want to stray away too far from what is acceptable. Also a lot of times they pretty much know what they want and all I do is recreate what they have in mind. Not too much creativity involved in that.

I believe it would be the same for photography if I made it a career, but of course I don't know for sure. Although I wouldn't mind traveling the world and taking picures for National Geographic.

terri said:
I really do like where I work and most of the time, it doesn't get to me. But I think we all suffer those periods where we see our lives passing by and the things that matter MORE, as a way of spending our precious time on the planet, seem to be the things we have the least time for. :x

Yup, this is me, right now. I've been here for coming up on 16 years, pretty much love it, but it's just really grating me right now. I've got darkroom stuff to do, a yard to reconstruct, yoga I need so I can find some balance, just got a new bike seat so I can ride my bike without bruising my ass, ya know... lots to do! Instead I sit here for the 40 prime hours of each week.... :?

Most reactions

Back