Dreamy effect on film

Daniel Scheel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi everybody!

I was wondering how this photographer has achieved this kind of blurry/dreamy/hazy look on film, I was wondering if maybe it was something placed in front of the camera?
What do you guys think?

Thank you!

Sam Rock — Gasoline Pictures

Looks like he used out dated film. Might have used an old point-n-shoot camera as well.

Looks like photos taken using cameras with plastic lenses, and I was thinking the same thing, maybe on expired film. I don't know if any post processing was done to the digital scans or not; I think they're probably enlarged quite a bit from the original negatives.

As others have noted out of date film was likely used (its pretty easy to come by) you can also get the same color effects (issues) on poorly calibrated film processing machines or improper processing, and or by using expired chemistry.

The soft focus blurry aspect is either from a plastic lens camera like a holga or simply from being very slightly out of focus. There are lots of cheap, plastic lens cameras out there for both 35mm and 120 format film.

Classic orange burn of the film emulsion. The film ages and the colors get lost quickly especially in warmer climates.

The shooting may have also been done with an old instamatic camera. I am seeing that typical lens distortion of the fixed elements.

I'm pretty sure that the first 16 frames were shot using a single element or meniscus lens camera, like an old instamatic or Diana

The two shots from the green car portion were done with a much better lens and the film was clearly not expired or stressed as was the case with the first 16 photos.

There are a few different cameras being used.

Last edited:
Plastic lens helps. Expired film, maybe, but it looks more like mild redscaling to me (fun fact - respool to run the film through the camera backwards, and boom! Redscale.)

Day 35 - Redscale shopfront
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Day 36 - Redscale Music Hall

Overexposure gives you more of a yellow cast:

Day 36 - Redscale river

Underexposure can be really red:

Day 36 - Redscale library

And hey, the Lomo trifecta! Redscale, plastic lens, AND overlapping frames (thanks, Holga! ;) ) Total accident but I kinda liked it.

Day 228 - Geese panorama

At first, it looked like Impossible Project instant with the borders cropped, but that's square format and he would have had to crop for the aspect ratio as well, not just the borders.

Just looks like an out of focus film scanner to me

Most reactions

Back