Drifting CC

Kimba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Thought i'd get some advice oh how to get good drift pics if anyone has and experience in motorsport photography at all.

This was my first ever attempt and all i had on me at the time was my 50mm 1.8.

what do you think and how can i improve it for next time?

5045676186_18d3d22955_b.jpg

5045052391_dfa5edb812_b.jpg

IMO the second crop isnt really working, however these are cool. I love the first one. Sorry I don't have experience with photos like these so.

thanks, all opinions count experienced or not, thats why i put them there. I cropped the second like that as it shows where the car has been, where it's going, the angles and gives (to me) an idea of whats happening. these cars go sideways at awsome speeds so was sort of using that crop to give that effect, maybe a fail but worth a go

I like the first one except the front and back of the car is slightly out of focus. Try using slightly smaller aperture to get it completely in focus.

To be honest, I think you're on the wrong side of the car. It would make the shot a bit more dramatic to show some of the rubber (both on the pavement and the smoke). It also looks like you're taking those shots right after a turn. Try getting it halfway through so the path is more clear (your shots may be slightly confusing for someone who isn't familiar with drifting). Don't get me wrong though, the pictures you posted are certainly great.

Just my .02, no experience whatsoever.

I'm thinking you need some motion blur to highlight the movement. A slower shutter speed, and panning on the part of the car that is moving more slowly, would probably work.

What they said... Also the vignette is a little much. Try it with none... and try and get a little more depth to the images.

panning is what i want to try but dont know where to start. there is no part of the car going slow, the slowest it went on these bends was still so damn fast!!! so for panning what do i need to do??

oh and to Greasy, to be on the other side of the car i would need to be on the track which is reserved for the paid photographers :( as it was i had to dodge flying tyres 2 times with how close i got!! LOL

To clarify what I meant by being on the other side of the car, I think the shots would just work a bit better if you were on the inside of the turn, with the car drifting away from you (smoke between you and the car). I think that would really emphasize the drifting aspect of drifting.

Otherwise try capturing the cars "head on."

To clarify what I meant by being on the other side of the car, I think the shots would just work a bit better if you were on the inside of the turn, with the car drifting away from you (smoke between you and the car). I think that would really emphasize the drifting aspect of drifting.

Otherwise try capturing the cars "head on."

sorry i thought you ment me physically be on the other side! LOL
so more like these angles maybe? (these are unprocessed shots so no corrections done yet)

5045994475_6b7f8d840a_b.jpg

5046614934_f1428188f1_b.jpg

There are two components to good panning technique - a slow-enough shutter speed, and smooth panning motion. The shutter speed you determine by trial and error: start with a speed like 1/125 sec, and work your way downwards from there. Somewhere along the way, you'll hit the sweet spot - the main subject is almost perfectly registered, while the background and moving parts are all blurred.

The panning part takes practice - lot's of it. You have to develop the smooth motion that anticipates and follows your main subject. You can't do it through the eyepiece as the mirror will be up while you're taking the shot, so you frame the shot through the eyepiece, and then follow the motion while clicking the shutter. If you've picked the direction and speed of your pan right, you'll get the partly blurred/partly sharp shot that marks this technique.

I like those last two! I think they show the motion of the drifting pretty well.

Use the servo setting in your camera's auto-focus. This will help maintain focus on a moving subject. If you're using a lens that has Image Stabilization with 2 modes, use Mode 2- it's for panning.

wow this panning sounds like hard work!! lol might have to go sit on the driveway and practice with cars driving past so i can get it right before heading out to the drifts next.

Most reactions

Back