Drilling a lensboard

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
For you DYI-ers... I have tried many methods for drilling a hole into a metal (aluminum/aluminium) LF lensboard but only recently I discovered a great way of succeeding at it. I tried hole cutting circular saws, didn't work well. I tried with a drill press and a special gizmo I got at the Ace Hardware store for good money, only to realize that the shaft of the drill itself was bent. Unfortunately, after ruining another blank.:x Recently though, I tried a Forstner bit mounted on my drill press. After I clamped well the lensboard to a piece of wood and the bed of the drill press, I started drilling slowly (slow speeds are best) so the Forstner bit doesn't get overheated. I continued slowly until it cut through the metal plate. Smoothed out the edges of the hole with a Dremel plus attachment and voila! I have a new lensboard for the Linhof!

For aluminum, I have found a fly cutter (pilot bit in the center with an adjustable arm cutter attached, sometimes there are two cutter wings on them) in a drill press at low speeds works best. Make sure your work piece is clamped down solid and put a scrap piece of wood under..

Never tried a forstner bit, sounds like you have it down though!

For you DYI-ers...

DYI-ers can't always afford the right tool for the job but paying for results doesn't disqualify you as a DYI-er.

I my opinion the right tool isn't a rotary drill of any sort but a punch. In this case, a ROTEX punch is part of almost every metal shop and $5 or $10 will get that hole placed to your desires with factory quality results. If the hole center isn't already marked on the lensboard, place masking tape on the board and mark the center with black ink to minimize the time spent by machinist. A few phone calls inquiring about your diameter and voila.

Rotex punches contain a dozen or more punches of various diameters in a rotary holder. It is mounted on an integral compact stand and has a slot-machine looking arm to punch the hole.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back