Driving Me Crazy

zutty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
In learning to use my new D7100 I've come across an issue I really hope someone can help with.
In live view I cannot make the preview work. Say I'm in Aperture priority mode and I step the Ap. from say..1.8 to 16...the manual says to push the OK button and you get a preview in live mode...Well that doesn't happen but after I take the shot the live preview gets real dark (as it should..in my test) but then I put the Ap. back to 1.8 and the live preview stays dark unless I turn the live mode off and on again. This is only in preview, the actual photos are fine. This is with a 50mm Nikon 1.8D lens. Is this normal or am I missing something. It would be nice to have the live preview follow the aperture if possible..like in non-live view when you push the preview button. I hope I've explained my self correctly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Well I found out that the D7100 simply does not have the motor that is required for this pretty essential feature. Very disappointing that Nikon sells a $1000+ camera that doesn't have what a $300 Canon does. I still like the camera but if I had know..well seems the only Nikons that do have the motor are the D88 (Thankfully I have one and love it.) Even the D610 doesn't have it. Here is the video that explains the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is why it is so important do a lot of research before spending a lot of $$$

Nikon DSLR cameras have a lot of features that Canon DSLR cameras don't have.

The preview got real dark because the lens aperture motor in your D7100 stopped the lens aperture down to the f/16 you had it set to. The motor is mechanically connected to the lens. If you look closely at the camera side and lens side of the mount you can see the mechanical connections on each.

None of Canon's cameras have a lens aperture motor in the camera. When Canon redesigned their lens mount in the mid 1980's to allow auto focus they opted to put the lens aperture motor and the auto focus motor in the lens.

A Nikon D88?

Here is the Nikon F-mount lens side:
NikonAF-S.jpg

Here is the camera side of the mount:

800px-Nikon_D70_img_0725.jpg

That is why it is so important do a lot of research before spending a lot of $$$
This was not a deal breaker and I still would have gotten the D7100 anyway. I did enough research before deciding on Nikon other than Canon or any other brand long ago. Mainly I thought the lenses were more to my liking. I don't regret any of my purchases. I was simply surprised at the lack of this feature.

Most reactions

Back