Dropped my camera + nicest lens in the pouring rain today. Filter stuck on lens

jdong217

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It's in pristine condition. The d7000, battery grip, and 24mm/1.4g lens are all in perfect condition and all features work. The only problem is that my filter is now stuck on my lens. I'm in Taiwan for a few days so I can't really go to Nikon. I brought it to an electronics shop and they all had a go at it, but no luck.

Anything I can do to fix this myself? I was thinking of using pliers but I'm a little scared to do that -_-

I really need to get it off because there's moisture trapped in there It's odd because the moisture is all on the inside of the filter and makes a perfect circle around the center. So when I take pictures it has an interesting fog effect around the subject. Kinda cool, but I want it GONE.

It's in pristine condition. The d7000, battery grip, and 24mm/1.4g lens are all in perfect condition and all features work. The only problem is that my filter is now stuck on my lens. I'm in Taiwan for a few days so I can't really go to Nikon. I brought it to an electronics shop and they all had a go at it, but no luck.

Anything I can do to fix this myself? I was thinking of using pliers but I'm a little scared to do that -_-

I really need to get it off because there's moisture trapped in there It's odd because the moisture is all on the inside of the filter and makes a perfect circle around the center. So when I take pictures it has an interesting fog effect around the subject. Kinda cool, but I want it GONE.

One way that has been suggested for stuck filters is to use a jar opener. Not tried it myself even though I have a Canon 24 - 70 L lens in this position

Yeah, I normally wouldn't care except that there's tonsof moisture in there

If nothing else put it in a bag of rice for now to suck that moisture out!

I've used a rubber band around the filter to get one off. Your's might be bent though but it's worth a shot. Good luck.

The filter body was distorted by the impact and is no longer round.

You can try a rubber band wrapped around the filter, but it may well take careful use of something like a pair of channel lock type pliers to remove it.

It is also very possible the lens filter threads are damaged, or will be damaged, when you remove the filter.

I have often stated that a filter on the lens for 'protection' can often cause more damage than it protects from.

You are in Taiwan?

If you are in Taipei, you can go to the intersection of BoAi Rd and HanKo St. It's right in between the Taipei MRT station and Xi Men station on the blue line. There are a ton of camera stores that may help.

If not, find a typical hardware store and see if they have those jar opener. Not the ones you use to pry the lid, but the ones that help you with more grip.

A little more risky trick is to drip a little oil or something to lubricate. Before you try that, you can try cool just the filter with ice or something to contract it a bit. This trick works on jar lids, not sure about filter rings.

And yes, it's been pouring and pouring. Sucks!

If you need more info on the camera stores, PM me.

If a rubber band alone isn't enough, I came up with a method a couple weeks ago that worked to get a real tough one off... I bought a lens on ebay and the guy put a CPL on crooked, really had it on there good. Even with a rubber band I couldn't get it off and I have a strong grip. The rubber kept slipping (cheap filter, shallow teeth). So I left the rubber band on, then I took two zip ties (one if it's long enough) and bound them together in a circle, basically creating a jar lid remover or oil filter remover tool. I tightened this as much as I could directly over the rubber band. I was able to use the box end of the zip tie to get some leverage with my fingers and it came off.

Otherwise it may need to be cut off... I've had to resort to that when I was in Hawaii. Filter saved the lens, but it was shattered and stuck on there. Took it to a local camera shop and they were able to cut it off overnight.

Woke up this morning and found that most of the moisture is all gone. But for some reason the focusing seems a bit off now Autofocus motor seems to work fine, but the images don't look in focus with it :/

It's been knocked out of calibration at the very least. I believe your camera body allows micro adjustments to how the lens will focus. That will fix the problem until you can have the lens serviced.

Most reactions

Back