Dropped my D90 just now :(

My d90 felt on the floor once with the 50mm 1.8 attached to it. My studid cat got the strap that was hanging beside the table and of course it went straight on the floor. The camera bounced a few times (probably due to the plastic housing). i was lucky there was no damage at all. The cat almost died that day even if it was not the cat fault for letting the strap hanging down haha. Id say test it and hope everything works fine.

...None of my Nikons have the original strap on them. Firstly, they are as uncomfortable as Hell and secondly, there are far better designs out there. I acutally have a TPF strap (don't know if they still sell them), but it basically an Optecka strap...

Amen - the only body I have with a Nikon strap is my F5, just because I think the gold thread looks cool, and it's actually long enough, and soft enough to be a decent strap.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah i should look into the market for a new strap the Nikon one is annoying, its so damn big and always gets in the way. I guess the only real good point about it is that it says Nikon

I'd recommend the BlackRapid RS-7. Best strap I've ever used in my life.

On the note of dropping, I smacked my 7D into marble the other week. I was down at the Apple store on 5th Ave for the iPad 2 launch (I wasn't buying one but we were out doing all kinds of stuff and went to FAO Schwartz so I had my camera). I tried to jump up onto the marble wall around the edge of the platform and my foot hit water (it rained all morning). I managed to catch myself before plummeting to the ground but my 7D with 24-105mm f/4L IS attached smacked hard into the marble. Luckily the lens didn't touch at all and the only thing that hit was the very corner of the 7D. Good thing it has the magnesium alloy frame =P I have a tiny little white dot on the corner where the plastic actually made contact and nothing else wrong.

Short version: I got lucky like crazy lol

Here we go..... the short strap that I roll with.....

1236365522_zGwy5-XL.jpg

Notice the clasp on my wrist? There is another in which the padded center part connects to. I actually use the padded center part to tether my lens hoods with now. I know I've taken a photo of how I use it, but obviously haven't done anything else with it. On my list of things to forget.

EDIT: Dayum, I should clean the LCD cover.​

I have since invested in a new strap, far cheaper then replacing my camera

Yeah i should look into the market for a new strap the Nikon one is annoying, its so damn big and always gets in the way. I guess the only real good point about it is that it says Nikon

I'd recommend the BlackRapid RS-7. Best strap I've ever used in my life.

On the note of dropping, I smacked my 7D into marble the other week. I was down at the Apple store on 5th Ave for the iPad 2 launch (I wasn't buying one but we were out doing all kinds of stuff and went to FAO Schwartz so I had my camera). I tried to jump up onto the marble wall around the edge of the platform and my foot hit water (it rained all morning). I managed to catch myself before plummeting to the ground but my 7D with 24-105mm f/4L IS attached smacked hard into the marble. Luckily the lens didn't touch at all and the only thing that hit was the very corner of the 7D. Good thing it has the magnesium alloy frame =P I have a tiny little white dot on the corner where the plastic actually made contact and nothing else wrong.

Short version: I got lucky like crazy lol

Im going to defiantly look into that one, the only part i don't like is the camera being on the side and me being clumsy enough to hit it off something as i walk. I like having it in the front but i guess you can't get everything. I would also like to buy the hand strap where can i buy one of those?

@Kundalini - looks like a nice strap

......the only part i don't like is the camera being on the side and me being clumsy enough to hit it off something as i walk. I like having it in the front but i guess you can't get everything. I would also like to buy the hand strap where can i buy one of those?

You'd be surprised how easy it is to push through a crowd or just hang out. The BR strap is golden. A slight hand to the side for comfort is all that's needed. I have mine adjusted so that the camera will rest on the flat of my lower back if I hand-hold it and am slipping through crowds (making myself small). Otherwise, it is right on my hip and ready for action. Seriously, the BR is a good system.

One thing to note..... I don't care for their mounting bolt to the camera. I use my tripods QR plate (Manfrotto) instead. Some say.... oh, no... but I say that it has never failed me.

To be honest that sounds even more convenient, you can just unclip and place on tripod. I hate when i have to screw the plate every-time i gotta use the tripod. Is their website the only place to purchase the item?

... Is their website the only place to purchase the item?

Google? :lol:

I ordered directly from them. They have more/different/perhaps better models now. I'm kinda interested in the double harness.

I just got my black rapid from bhphoto. I got the sport one and it's amazing.

Ill go check out my local Henry's Camera store, i don't like ordering online its very inconvenient. Thanks for the help

My camera strap came unraveled. Yep, it did. (
May I suggest to rid yourself of the Nikon strap ASAP. None of my Nikons have the original strap on them. Firstly, they are as uncomfortable as Hell and secondly, there are far better designs out there. I acutally have a TPF strap (don't know if they still sell them), but it basically an Optecka strap. The padded neck piece is quite nice, but I rarely have it connected. I much prefer the shortened strap as a day-to-day. This also allows me much less troubles when I attach my Black Rapids strap.
I have never thought of this. Thank you for the suggestion. I think I will get mine both replaced. :)

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Any updates on your camera, Davor??? Hope nothing serious happened to it..

Been there before. I used to have a crappy plastic mount head tripod and I was trying to hurry cus I spotted some land crabs in the mountain while hiking. I put the camera on the tripod with the 70~300 on it, and next thing I knew was the whole camera fall onto the granite pavement! What happened was, I did mount the camera correctly onto the tripod, but the locking mechanism on the head broke off completely being cheap plastic. My lens looks all dark inside cus the elements were all misaligned. The lens mount plate on the camera is also a bit off, making scratch marks when I try to put the lens on. I had it overhauled, but things never felt the same after.

Since then, I always have the strap on my neck no matter what, even when the camera is on the tripod. Unless I am doing a long exposure, it's never an exception.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back