Dropping my 40D

Megs

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi I'm new so wasn't too sure where to post this.

My Canon 40D was accidentally knocked off a table a few days ago (stupid accident; it was attached to my laptop and someone grabbed the laptop) and it fell hard enough for my lens cap to go flying. I took a few test shots afterwards and everything seems fine but I'm not sure if it has damage anything internally (like the sensor). I have never dropped it before. There is no obvious signs of trama but I'm not sure what other problems I should look for.

Thank god I have a full 4 year warranty on this baby.

Hi I'm new so wasn't too sure where to post this.

My Canon 40D was accidentally knocked off a table a few days ago (stupid accident; it was attached to my laptop and someone grabbed the laptop) and it fell hard enough for my lens cap to go flying. I took a few test shots afterwards and everything seems fine but I'm not sure if it has damage anything internally (like the sensor). I have never dropped it before. There is no obvious signs of trama but I'm not sure what other problems I should look for.

Thank god I have a full 4 year warranty on this baby.

I think you need to claim it to insurance cover for this, if it is insured though. Damage by accident has never been covered by warranty. But you may try yours, who knows maybe they will cover it. If you succeed I will follow you suit with stack of claims to send them broke.:lol:

I have dropped my xti twice (both from about 4 feet), once on cement, once on marble (breaking the speedlite). It is ok so far. I was really worried but a week later and several great photos, I am pretty sure it is fine

i'd freak if i dropped my a700!
the common answer whenever someone asks the question "how do i know my camera is ok??" is always the same, so take note. If it still works and takes pictures , adn the pictures look fine, then chances are, your camera is fine. but i've heard the 40d is pretty solid so you should be fine. Count your blessings!

Ya didn't buy a metal camera for nothing. :/

We have accidental coverage from Best Buy :) I'm curious on how often they'll let me replace it though heh hehe.

Welcome to the forum.

Let this be a lesson...the more your camera is tethered to a cord, the more likely it is to have an accident.

Buy a card reader so that you don't have to go through this again.

The 40D is a tank. I'd be more afraid of it denting your floor...lol

Run it through it's paces. If all looks good, then all is good. Lesson learned, huh?

We have accidental coverage from Best Buy :) I'm curious on how often they'll let me replace it though heh hehe.

If it's similar to the warranty Circuit City has, then the accidental damage is a one time use deal...

At least once a year...I had coverage through best buy, dropped my camera about a year after purchase - the lens took a good hit. It worked for a while, then it started having autofocus problems. I took it back expecting a lens replacement; BB replaced the whole kit, body plus lens (it was the kit lens).

Needless to say, I took out another policy on the new camera (the old policy ends when you retire the camera for replacement).

Welcome to the forum.

Let this be a lesson...the more your camera is tethered to a cord, the more likely it is to have an accident.

Yep! I'm usually extremely careful with it but from now on I'll be using the card reader (I have two of them lying around I got for free at the Gamer's Developer Conference! :) ) Thank you!

Welcome to the forum.

I prefer to use the cord, as I keep thinking that the repeated in / out of the card from the camera will evenually cause problems with the pins in the camera and render the camera useless or unable to write to the card. So I just remove the card occasionally for inspection to ensure all looks OK. Perhaps its silly... but until someone tells me different.... Glad your 40D is OK. Id continue using it. Not sure how you could exchange it anyway if it still works fine???

Well I just went ahead and got the whole thing replaced. I came back from doing a shooting this morning and found a lot of dust inside my lens. I went over to Best Buy to see if I could get the lens replaced. After being told they'd have to send it out to be cleaned (which takes up to 3 weeks) they just decided to swap the entire kit out for me. And since it was technically still under 'holiday return policy' they used that instead of my replacement plan I have. W00t!

It was sad to let the old body go though. I had it for about 40 days, took over 2000 pictures and just came back from Maui with it this week.

Yeah I heard Best Buy is great with their warranties and such, glad to hear you got a new camera!

Most reactions

Back