Drops on top of drops.

fotograph

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have always enjoyed water drop photos, and recently I purchased some equipment to take it to the next level. I even ended up with quite a few three drop collisions before it was all over. I think the background looked a little blotchy on some of them, I'm not sure if it was droplets on the frosted acrylic or the acrylic was too close to the drops and the texture of the BG is showing through. Suggestions, comments and constructive criticism is welcome.

med_IMG_6230_copy.jpg

med_IMG_6254_copy.jpg

First three drop collision
med_IMG_6553_copy.jpg

med_IMG_6376_copy.jpg

Some of them I just thought were cool
med_IMG_6387_copy.jpg

Played with some bubbles and missed, this is behind the bubble
med_IMG_6544_copy.jpg

Actually got it to go inside the bubble...
med_IMG_6586_copy.jpg

med_IMG_6571_copy.jpg

This one was probably the best 3 drop collision of the day
med_IMG_6608_copy~0.jpg

Wow, these are amazing. Well done! Love 'number 2', the little oscar statuette.

Great shots. Reflection in 1, #2 looks like a person or a bowing Oscar award, #3 with excellent form. Thanks for posting.

These are amazing.

I have always enjoyed water drop photos, and recently I purchased some equipment to take it to the next level. I even ended up with quite a few three drop collisions before it was all over. I think the background looked a little blotchy on some of them, I'm not sure if it was droplets on the frosted acrylic or the acrylic was too close to the drops and the texture of the BG is showing through. Suggestions, comments and constructive criticism is welcome.

med_IMG_6230_copy.jpg

med_IMG_6254_copy.jpg

First three drop collision
med_IMG_6553_copy.jpg

med_IMG_6376_copy.jpg

Some of them I just thought were cool
med_IMG_6387_copy.jpg

Played with some bubbles and missed, this is behind the bubble
med_IMG_6544_copy.jpg

Actually got it to go inside the bubble...
med_IMG_6586_copy.jpg

med_IMG_6571_copy.jpg

This one was probably the best 3 drop collision of the day
med_IMG_6608_copy~0.jpg
I have now been to the corner of Beauty and Technique. Bravo!

These are just fantastic! Would you mind sharing your setup/equipment? I'm becoming more and more interested in maco.

Thanks, these were all taken with a canon 5d mk iii, canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens on a tripod. The water was dropped into a black pan, the background was a 12"x24" piece of frosted acrylic, behind that was 4 Yongnuo yn560 iii's @ 1/64th power flashed back towards the camera. Each flash had a different color gel attached. Some of the pics had a piece of colored plastic attached to frosted acrylic.

The most important pieces of equipment are the valve/solenoid/processor combo. I found a semi-affordable kit on eBay and my daughter bought it for me for Christmas. If your interested I'll post a link to the eBay store.

The next most important ingredient was Corrie White's E book "the ultimate guide to water drop photography"

The water is not straight water, it is a xanthan gum - water mixture with a special "cleaning lotion" added. The xanthan gum thickens the water for stability and the rinse aid gives it elasticity.

If you're really interested, I highly recommend the e-book.

Here is a pic of the set up from the first session I did with water. Sorry for the mess.

4e8a0a7d11d7b120e02de6970d93fe04.jpg

These are just fantastic! Would you mind sharing your setup/equipment? I'm becoming more and more interested in maco.

Thanks, these were all taken with a canon 5d mk iii, canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens on a tripod. The water was dropped into a black pan, the background was a 12"x24" piece of frosted acrylic, behind that was 4 Yongnuo yn560 iii's @ 1/64th power flashed back towards the camera. Each flash had a different color gel attached. Some of the pics had a piece of colored plastic attached to frosted acrylic.

The most important pieces of equipment are the valve/solenoid/processor combo. I found a semi-affordable kit on eBay and my daughter bought it for me for Christmas. If your interested I'll post a link to the eBay store.

The next most important ingredient was Corrie White's E book "the ultimate guide to water drop photography"

The water is not straight water, it is a xanthan gum - water mixture with a special "cleaning lotion" added. The xanthan gum thickens the water for stability and the rinse aid gives it elasticity.

If you're really interested, I highly recommend the e-book.

Here is a pic of the set up from the first session I did with water. Sorry for the mess.

4e8a0a7d11d7b120e02de6970d93fe04.jpg
Thank you for this incredibly useful info. One quick question; I recently bought a 40mm macro (intentionally skimped because I have a studio full of pro gear and this lens was just for fun dabbling in macro) do you think I could use this with some level of success with a similar setup? And, yes please share your eBay and book links. Thanks again.

I'm sure you could, in Corrie White's book she shows examples from a 100mm macro, a 85mm and a 70-200mm. While the 100mm looks the best they all look decent. Experiment and see which works best.

Stunning well done!

They are very nice pictures, and have a lot to offer as artwork. I would like to see some of natural water drops as well (clear and no thickener) just because I also like science pictures. I would like to see the differences between what nature produces and what a person can stage. White lights would be a nice touch also for the pure science shots. :)

Very good work.

Most reactions

Back