Drum process RA4 without motor base(is it possible?)

Jonathan Schertzer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone!, hopefully you guys can help me out here. I'm looking to start printing RA4 from my color enlarger. I'm a little low on money at the moment and can't afford $600 for a jobo set up. So the only other option is tray development, Unless it would be possible to buy just the tank from a jobo unit and use that as a giant day light canister like i would for film. Just load my print into the tank, heat up my chemicals with a water bath and then pour them into the tank and do the agitation by hand. Would this people possible?

thanks guys!

There are quite a lot of ways of developing RA-4 without needing a motor base or a motorised Jobo. If you already have the tank you can use a plain roller base (not difficult to make one yourself). Some tanks can be rolled on a flat surface while remaining horizontal (they should stay horizontal because of the small amount of solution used). You can also use a slot processor instead of a tray, or an orbital processor - though the latter seem to be getting rare because they are good for large format film.

There are always some Unicolor drums and rollers on E Bay.

My color by Beseler drums show you how to roll them in the instructions. But like mentioned, drums and agitators are cheap on eBay. I do most of my prints and all of my 4x5/8x10 films that way.

Most reactions

Back