Drying Glossy Prints

Microwaves only heat water molecules so theoretically it would work. RC doesn't absorb water except for a small amount in the gelatine. Fibre takes it into the Baryta too but if the print was only heated minimally - so the water temp didn't go too much above the melting point of gelatine - it would be no different to using a normal print dryer. The aim in both is to drive off the water as vapour.
The problems with a microwave are that they tend to heat unevenly so parts of the print will dry quicker than others which would cause buckling and distortion in fibre based.
I would stick with a rotary or flat bed dryer for fibre. Rotary for choice. Those babies will dry prints as fast as you can feed them, will glaze the print if you want and the blanket holds the prints flat for minimal distortion.

I know from experience that just because someone respected does something, it doesn't mean it's a good thing. But I keep an open mind and I wouldn't advise anyone not to try it if they wished. If it works for you then that's a good thing.
I have often use a hairdryer on RC to speed things along. Whatever works.

Hmmm... well... not having done any research, I suppose I have to reluctantly accept this. I having a LOT or trouble reasoning what good comes from making your wet prints into really hot wet prints, or how this promotes a glossy finish. I can't imagine how this can be good for the emulsion. Live and learn, I guess.

Pete
And I appreciate that reluctance! I've not tried it, either, but have come across it enough to where it seems apparent no major harm is done. I'd start at my lowest setting and short times and see how it went.

And hey, if it can give me a reasonably dry print to where a judgment call can be made within a few minutes instead of hours, that can only be a good thing to help me proceed with my printing session.

I plan on taking a week long workshop with Dr. Rudman later this year. There are plenty of things I plan to pick his worthy brain about, and I may add this to the list. :)

As mentioned above for FB, dry on screens, but I place them face down for a couple of reasons. The paper tends to curl to the emulsion side and if there is any excess water on the paper, and if the print is up, it will pool and can cause wrinkles that just can't be removed. Plus face down helps controll the curling.

But, face down works best for me, then when dry 20-30 seconds in the drymount press and into storage, I only use single weight paper too.

I've never tried the microwave, but it is mentioned in texts as a quick way to dry test prints and test strips when you can't stand around waiting for dry down. Quite respected printers, such as Les McLean and Tim Rudman, use a microwave routinely for FB prints.

I would imagine the wildcard is getting used to your own microwave, as obviously strength and times will vary from paper to paper.

But yeah, it's definitely a tool to use. :)
Hmm.. learn something new....

For a high gloss you need to use a ferotype plate. After washing you soak the prints for a few seconds in a special wetting solution, then face down on the plate. They will have a very high gloss once dry.

My drum dryer, the drum is a ferotype so I have the option of either matt, face to the cloth or glossy face to the drum.

RC glossy will air dry glossy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back